• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering box spheerol treatment

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just watched the steering box video on utube and was wondering why the producer made such a major issue out of removing all the old oil and drying everything so thoroughly. It would seem to me that less dense liquid would leak out and leave the spheerol. Maybe a top up with the more dense material, but it seemed very involved to go through the entire cleaning and drying when it is already clean in the box and the oil will leak out anyway.
Thinking here?
Also:
What the heck is spheerol and where does one buy it?
Be well all
Andrew

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just watched the steering box video on utube and was wondering why the producer made such a major issue out of removing all the old oil and drying everything so thoroughly. It would seem to me that less dense liquid would leak out and leave the spheerol. Maybe a top up with the more dense material, but it seemed very involved to go through the entire cleaning and drying when it is already clean in the box and the oil will leak out anyway.
Thinking here?

The problem is that oil leaks out of the steering box which (a) makes a mess and (b) leaves the steering box without sufficient lubricant. The suggested solution is to replace the oil with grease which is more viscous and which will not leak out of the steering box. Leaving oil in the steering box simply ensures more leaking, more mess and less lubricant as well as the necessity to add more grease after the oil leaks out.

You could ask the video producer directly; he is a member here with the name Tim R.

Also:
What the heck is spheerol and where does one buy it?

Speerol is a grease marketed by Castrol and sold widely.

Enter "Speerol" in the search engine of your choice and get a gillion hits.​

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Andrew, We removed the old oil for exactly the reason that Barry states above, we wanted to stop the constant leaking.

Spheerol is a very runny grease. With 'normal' grease in an application like a steering box it gets pushed out of the way and you end up with metal running against metal. The Spheerol is constantly runny even on a cold day so when it is pushed out of the way it flows back again. It is very good stuff.

Tim R

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Barry / Tim
I understand, but having a touch of the old man lazzyies:
I was just thinking that if it is already leaking— let it leak and top up with spheerol until the oil all leaks out. These days I am looking for easy alternatives.
My assumption is the leaking will stop when the oil drains out and during the interim , the spheerol will lubricate the box. Leaking oil creates the void and topping up with spheerol fills it. That said, I have been putting off a leaking front trans seal for a while. I park over a pan and do not visit friends in the sunbeam who are sensitive about their driveway surfaces. I tend to have friends with gravel driveways.
Any of this make sense?

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I can find spheerol on line. In the video I believe epl 0 was used. There are all sorts of designations—epl 1, epl 2, etc and a whole lot more. There is no explanation, that I can find, that explains what these epl(s) refer to. Is there something specific I should be buying?
Napa Oregon does not carry it.
Thanks

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks all.
From Durhamguy’s chart, it appears that any epl consistency will work. I guess I’ll go mid range unless anyone advises other.
Grateful for all the good council.
Andrew