• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering box rebuild and fill plug fix

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't understand the need for grease to "flow" inside the Alpine steering box. I have had them apart and am convinced, especially during a rebuild, that if the parts are greased as they are assembled, there is no need for grease flow anymore than there is in a wheel bearing. There is a tendency for grease to accumulate in the steering column tube, maybe the thin grease oozes back into the steering box, while chassis grease stays.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Were you able to use commercial bushing or make one from stock? The later columns are bored out to 1.545", hard to find bushes larger than that to turn down. Material and machining costs get way out of line in a hurry. That was a driving force in using bearing quality plastic when I made upper bearings for Dan.
Bill

loose_electron

Donation Time
Grease in the steering box has been a good fix for 90W oil dripping out of the box.

Probably ***not*** a good solution for differentials and transmissions however.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill,
My understanding is that what happens with 'normal' non-flowing grease in applications such as steering boxes is that the ball pushes the grease out of the way and then it stays out of the way. You end up with metal running on metal with minimal lubrication, that is why it is important for any replacement grease to 'flow' in a slow moving application like the steering box. We use Castrol Spheerol '00' grease, it flows perfectly for a steering box and doesn't leak out of the bottom when the O ring gets tired.

Tim R

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,
My understanding is that what happens with 'normal' non-flowing grease in applications such as steering boxes is that the ball pushes the grease out of the way and then it stays out of the way. You end up with metal running on metal with minimal lubrication, that is why it is important for any replacement grease to 'flow' in a slow moving application like the steering box. We use Castrol Spheerol '00' grease, it flows perfectly for a steering box and doesn't leak out of the bottom when the O ring gets tired.

Tim R
That makes sense as there is nothing to prevent the grease from pushed into the column, the talk about close tolerances does not.
Bill

loose_electron

Donation Time
Bill,

Tim R
yeah, I have heard that argument before. However, if you fill the box up so there is little or no air in the box, if the bearings push it aside, it just ends up getting into another part of it. I got rid of the gear oil and went the grease path, packed it as tightly as I could about 4 years back and am so far happy with it.

Some have also proposed the idea of putting a grease nipple on the steering box. Then you can fill it 100%

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My experience indicates there is no such thing as a "full" steering box. The box is not enclosed around the input shaft. As a result grease gets pushed into the column and tends to stay. I "filled" my steering box three times before the grease level settled down.

Bill

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks like EPO 23 grease, used it in boat lift worm gear/spur gear sets. Preferred because of the leakage possibilities were low. There was a husky grease used also but it’s property was you could throw it on the ceiling and it would stick. Used on an open gearbox that the leak possibility was low, no leak test required.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
If used on a high speed gear box it would not lube the worm gear, observed that smoke coming out of it @ 400 rpm. In a steering box that would not be possible, fill 100%.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Where can you buy EPO 23 grease in small quantities? It is usually found in 35 pound or larger pails.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
This is why I installed a real seal, so I can use the right oil. I just don't think grease is a good idea.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
00 grease isn’t really grease as you know it… it’s more like a congealed oil. The consistency is much like yogurt… it flows, but doesn’t weep. It has great EP properties like grease, but it flows much better.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I packed my steering box with grease years ago. I haven't pulled the top in a long time, but won't be surprised to find a trough around the gear. Any thoughts on the value of just filling that trough with 00 grease? Or, should I clean out the old grease first?