• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Starter Stuck???

s2willdo

Donation Time
I'll get under the car tonight, but figured I'd ask before I start tearing things apart.

I think my starter bendix is stuck in the flywheel. I fired the car up over the weekend, it ran for a minute, then I tried to start it again a few times and finally got a click and a weird electric noise. I went to hand turn the fan and the motor is stuck.

I did a wack with a hammer on the starter, no luck. Tonight I'll try to take out the starter. Someone at work told me to jack up the rear end and move the rear tires back and forth to get the bendix to release.

Any other ideas?

Jason

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
It's been awhile but I believe the starter shaft has a square end at the exhaust side that you can put a wrench on and turn the starter by hand to free it.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Yea, turn in in the opposite direction the fan turns. That should cause it to move back down the shaft and free it from the flywheel if that is the issue. It also may mean that the start needs to come out and have the shaft and gear assembly cleaned and it could be binding due to dirt. The drive gear and shaft shouldn't be greased or oiled as that will collect dirt, but should either be completely clean or use one of those dry lubricants.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ignition off, car in 4th, rock the car fore and aft.. the starter will disengage from the flywheel. Then remove the starter (not easy, and remember to disconnect battery first) and clean the bendix gear in solvent, then lightly lube the bendix and starter bearings with engine oil. Reinstall starter and you're likely good to go for many more miles.

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
You might want to spray the bejesus out of the Bendix from underneath with BraKleen or another brake solvent and then try to start. Do this while the starter is still in place. Might save you a lot of work removing the starter. Worked for me.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not too great of an idea using the fan blade to turn the engine Ugh!!

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
If it is hanging on due to the teeth on the ring gear getting snaggy a good solution is to fit a Hi-Gear starter. These operate on the opposite, (unworn) side of the ring gear. It might save you pulling the engine and replacing the starter ring.
Tim R