• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Squeaky Front Wheel

ALC 68A

Donation Time
On the way back from the UK club national meeting, my Series 3 developed a metallic squeak from the front left wheel. I assumed it was the bearing running dry of grease, but when I took the disc pads out and span the wheel as fast as I could by hand, there was no squeak. Even with the pads back in, there was only the sound of the pads rubbing on the disc, yet when I drove the car the squeak was back, although not as loud.

The hub bearings were changed when my local garage converted the car from steel to wire wheels some years ago, but the car has been off the road for most of the time in between. The car has just been professionally restored, including replacing the incorrect Series IV/V front cross member with a rebuilt correct Series 3 one, with the hubs swapped over. However, I don't think the restorer replaced the bearings then, so should they have been?

I'm hoping not to have to change them, as I've looked at the job in the workshop manual and it doesn't look particularly simple, especially as the access to the hub nut inside the wire wheel hub is restricted. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to the cause of the squeak and/or the job of replacing the bearings (if necessary) please? Removing and replacing the bearing races looks the tricky bit. The manual refers to driving them out and in using "a suitable drift". What's that? I've seen TV programs where they use a hydraulic press, which of course I don't have, so is changing the bearings doable at home?

Many thanks

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The wheel bearings aren't all that hard to change. The races are fairly easily removed even if you don't have special tools.
I've replaced then using a punch, or drift. But since you are getting the squeak in the one wheel and as you stated the car's
been off the road for a while try & repack the bearing on that side and see if that stops the squeaking.

The other thing to look at would be your dust shield on that side. Sometimes they get bent and will rub while spinning.
Usually a different kind of noise, but worth checking. Take a good long look at all the components and try and replicate the squeak
with the wheel in the air. If it only happens with weight on the wheel look around and see if there are any obvious signs
that something is loose.

If your local garage didn't replace the bearings when they converted the car for you, they must have been within spec, or you
have a mechanic that's maybe not as thorough as originally thought.

Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Steve

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I used to get a squeak from the front brakes. I traced it down two some worn-out pad retaining pins and the lack of springs on the pins.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The pins or lack there of in early cars leads to a squeak as the wheel rotates.. It increases in frequency as speed increases. A good check for it.. As you drive along and hear the squeak lightly touch the brakes and see if the sound stops.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Are the anti-rattle shims installed between the brake pads and the caliper?
There isn't anything between the caliper pistons and the backs of the disc pads. The pads are a sliding fit - I was actually surprised how easily they came out yesterday. However, there isn't a gap as such - not enough to put a shim in between and still get the pads back in. What do these shims look like? Are they available separately?

pruyter

Donation Time
Press in the pistons and then you have a gap for installing the shims. But before you do that remove the cap of the reservoir of the master brake cylinder and put someting like old clothing around the master cylinder because by pressing in the pistons the level of the brake fluid will rise in the reservoir and if it was totally filled up the brake fluid will spill out and as you probably know: brake fluid is a disaster for paint.

Regards,

Peter

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Before you do more mechanical work, I'd take Alpine 64's advice: Drive it again until it squeaks, apply the brakes and see if the squeak stops immediately (but temporarily). If the squeak doesn't stop while braking, then look to the bearings. When my SV pad(s) occasionally start to squeak, I find that a couple of doses of steady, long, hard braking resolves it. Some Alpines really need the anti-rattle shims, some don't.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It also may be a hubcap (assuming you don't have wires). If you do have wires, it could well be a loose wire (or more).

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
There isn't anything between the caliper pistons and the backs of the disc pads. The pads are a sliding fit - I was actually surprised how easily they came out yesterday. However, there isn't a gap as such - not enough to put a shim in between and still get the pads back in. What do these shims look like? Are they available separately?
If you don't have the shims, I use this. https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05016-Disc-Brake-Quiet/dp/B000CINV88

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Before you do more mechanical work, I'd take Alpine 64's advice: Drive it again until it squeaks, apply the brakes and see if the squeak stops immediately (but temporarily). If the squeak doesn't stop while braking, then look to the bearings. When my SV pad(s) occasionally start to squeak, I find that a couple of doses of steady, long, hard braking resolves it. Some Alpines really need the anti-rattle shims, some don't.
Thanks. Have tried that and braking only stops the squeak when the speed has dropped to walking pace. Pulling away starts the squeak again, as soon as speed starts to build.

I think it must be the bearings needing repacking with grease. I obtained some spare split pins yesterday, to enable me to resecure the castle nut, once I get the hub off. I see there is a hole through the wire wheel splined hub in line with the split pin, to enable access to it. I'll fit the the anti-rattle shims at the same time. Thanks for all the advice.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can it be a wire wheel squeaking? I think I would put the spare on that axle and see what impact that has.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I really don’t think it’s wheel bearings. They’d have to be absolutely dry to squeak, and that’s pretty unlikely. Besides, there’s so much weight on those bearings that they’d probably grind instead of squeaking.

I’d look at your wheels (wire wheels get loose and even a steel wheel can crack around the holes), or your brakes (pins and pads can make noise, a bent backplate can rub, etc,).

alpine_64

Donation Time
ACL.. When i said apply brakes... I mean drive along amd apply the brakes lightly with your left foot as you drive.. ( as in while you are still accelerating) if squeak goes... Its either the pins or you need some anti squel sheilds.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
ACL.. When i said apply brakes... I mean drive along amd apply the brakes lightly with your left foot as you drive.. ( as in while you are still accelerating) if squeak goes... Its either the pins or you need some anti squel sheilds.
Thanks - I misunderstood what you meant. I think it is worth putting those shims in anyway, as it seems they probably should be there.