• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Special tool - lock/unlock nuts holding switches

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Didn't know of anywhere else to post this question, so here goes....

Have you any idea how to tighten and or loosen the lock nuts that hold the switches on the Alpine dash?

Is there a tool available any more that can be used?

I used to have a tool many, many years ago that looked a bit like a screw driver only it had two prongs that fit into the holes .....

DanR

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, there’s a tool, in fact there’s a set of two with a tommy bar that does all Lucas switches. I don’t know where you’re located, but I’m happy to loan them to you. PM me if you need them.

ma4R6Pl.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought a couple of tools many years ago on eBay, one for the switches and one for the ignition switch. They were basically just a short pieces of pipe that had been milled at the end to leave two tabs sticking out that matched the bezels. I then welded an old, appropriately sized 1/4" socket to each and use a thumb ratchet to make them easier to handle. I believe these are the ones I have: https://www.ebay.com/i/202581007940...MIgrWc1cba5AIVDF8NCh25FwOAEAQYASABEgLlUvD_BwE

Also, if you google lucas switch bezel removal tool you will find many others.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Pete H in the UK gave me a set a few years ago Dan. You are welcome to borrow them anytime. Thanks Pete!

65beam

Donation Time
The one I bought from Moss has both sizes in one tool. When all else fails use a screw driver.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, there’s a tool, in fact there’s a set of two with a tommy bar that does all Lucas switches.
Thanks for the great offer, I shall decline now that I know where to make a purchase.

I believe these are the ones I have: https://www.ebay.com/i/202581007940...MIgrWc1cba5AIVDF8NCh25FwOAEAQYASABEgLlUvD_BwE

Also, if you google lucas switch bezel removal tool you will find many others.

Jim, That is great help in locating what I want....

When all else fails use a screw driver.
Bob, The screw driver is what I have been utilizing..... exactly why I want ed a "tool".... The screw driver can cause damage very easily and it never seems to put the correct amount of pressure on both side of the nut.

Many tanks to you guys for getting me on to the "correct" tools.

65beam

Donation Time
Thanks for the great offer, I shall decline now that I know where to make a purchase.

Jim, That is great help in locating what I want....

Bob, The screw driver is what I have been utilizing..... exactly why I want ed a "tool".... The screw driver can cause damage very easily and it never seems to put the correct amount of pressure on both side of the nut.

Many tanks to you guys for getting me on to the "correct" tools.
Dan.
Practice make perfect. I can tell you that the tools can slip out of the grooves of the retainer rings. The two slots vary from piece to piece.

Last edited:

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Another thought from someone who doesn't have the tool. I've used a set of long narrow needle nose pliers. Fits over ok, turn gently, no damage so far. Used on switch rings and ignition switch.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I made one years ago by cutting/grinding a large washer into an appropriate "U" shape. It worked ok, but I consider the tools to have been a very worthwhile purchase, even though I only use them occasionally.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Didn't know of anywhere else to post this question, so here goes....

Have you any idea how to tighten and or loosen the lock nuts that hold the switches on the Alpine dash?

Is there a tool available any more that can be used?

I used to have a tool many, many years ago that looked a bit like a screw driver only it had two prongs that fit into the holes .....

DanR
I made mine just like the picture here

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for setting me straight on all the options for the "tool"..... I had something similar years ago. Just thought someone had an idea I could use! And and usual the Guys of this Forum came across splendidly.

Of all of the suggestions, recommendation, and offers, it looks like I can either buy, borrow or make what I need:)

I shall have one to keep in the Alpine until I am satisfied the nuts will remain secure. Probably best idea to keep it in the tool kit!

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have just the tool Kevin has and will never go back to the 'ole screwdriver and/or needle nose again. An investment that has more than paid for its self.

Tip: When removing dash lighting or ignition switches, secure the front locking ring and turn the switch body a few degrees first. This may break the mating surfaces and make removal a bit easier. Oftentimes the front ring is stuck to the dash and turning it alone may damage the switch labels or dash surface material.

Mark .…. volvoguys

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Never had problems with switches but I never get the ignition bezel right.
It's a particular problem with the Series 3/IV GT wooden dashboards. A supplier in the UK sells a small square metal plate that has a projecting prong in each corner. This fits behind the back of the dash over the switch barrel and is supposed to stop it turning due to the prongs digging into the wood. I haven't had time to fit it yet because the radio console has to come out first, but those who have say it works.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
DanR, I purchased an inexpensive pair of needle nose pliers and ground the tips to fit in those bezels
Gotta love Harbour Freight tools!!!!!