• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soluble oil or Coolant

lemansvk

Donation Time
Someone I know has been advised by a usually reliable source to use soluble oil rather than regular anti-freeze/boil type coolant in his Alpine radiator. Advice was given that "It's better to replace the hoses every 4 years than have to replace all the alloy in the motor". He lives in a warm climate where anti-freeze is not needed.

I've always used a quality coolant with corrosion inhibitors and have
no experience with soluble oil. Anyone care to offer an opnion on this?

Thanks in advance, Vic

alpine_64

Donation Time
vic,

Can;t comment on that.. but i know alpines will corrode quickly with the wrong coolant, and if you mix them. Use a high anti corrosion coolant and keep the same brand. Use a return system and make sure radiator and hoses are in good condition to keep the engine cool. Its better to stop the alloy rotting and sort the cooling in another way other than using high % (glycol?) products.

Nickodell

Donation Time
That's a new one!

I see several problems. Apart from the corrosive effect on rubber components and possible ecological problems with disposal, the main one is that oil has nowhere near the cooling capacity of water. Water has the highest specific heat (the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a given mass) of any natural substance. Oil has approximately half the specific heat, so you would be almost certain to overheat if you substituted it for the normal coolant.

Stick with an antifreeze specified for aluminum engines.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
oil and water

The only place I like to see an oil mixed with water is when cutting steel.... Period,,,, period..

No excuses,,, The person who told whom ever to put this into the engine hasn't had one blow up on a hot day in the middle of (A nowhere,(B middle of traffic(C Middle of trying to get away from a naging wife.. Or oh god, not Nebraska
Use only a good grade of standard compatable anti-freeze and about(depends on your daily temps) 50/50 mix.
You guys and gals have a great evening.
Chuck