• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Smiths Clocks

dmich2

Donation Time
From time to time I see Smiths clocks on eBay and the price ranges vary quite a bit. But they almost always state, and one on today's listings by volvoguys really says it, " The few very minor faults: these clocks never work and this is no exception .... "

I was wondering. Since non-working seem to abound, have any of you had luck rebuilding these, and if so what is involved or do you know anyone that does recondition them? I do not have one but am interested.

Thanks,
Dennis

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I took one apart decades ago and tried to fix it. There is an electric coil that is enegrgized when a contact is closed. That energized coil moves a pendulum which breaks the electric circuit and de-energizes the coil. This process continues and the clock ticks along as long as those contacts are working. But I think the high quality metal contacts (nickel? Gold? , whatever) wears away after a year or so and the clock stops working. I tried cleaning the contacts and got my clock to work for a few weeks I think. I always suspected that it might be possible to take the contacts out and have them plated appropriately, but never actualy tried it.

Tom

atallamcs

Donation Time
Clock

I have had them professionally rebuilt and after $150+ for that effort they work for a short time and then return to their most common state--right time-- twice a day. It's the look. After all when you are driving a Tiger or an Alpine--it's always the right time.

Bill

skywords

Donation Time
I would think the thing to do would be to have a modern realiable movement installed under the face. Why put up with rubbish if there is a better way? Then your clocks would always be in pace with Celestially calibrated time from the National Bureau of Standards. :) How on earth did Maxwell Smart get to work on time?

Rick

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
And does anybody know who can convert these to quartz movement? Much more reliable. Robert

skywords

Donation Time
I would venture to say any clock repairman that's any good would have no trouble with the job. And the great thing is you only have to do it once.

Rick

atallamcs

Donation Time
clock

Sunbeam Specialties sells (use to sell?) a clock similar in appearance that had a quartz movement--they were about $150 and you were done.

Bill

skywords

Donation Time
Ya I saw that in my catalog today. $210.00 and mine is not all that current. I think one would have that in a conversion so not a bad deal.

Rick

lemansvk

Donation Time
I have had them professionally rebuilt and after $150+ for that effort they work for a short time and then return to their most common state--right time-- twice a day. It's the look. After all when you are driving a Tiger or an Alpine--it's always the right time.

Bill

I had mine fixed 4 years ago, cost $100 Aus. I disconnect the battery every time I'm out of the car, but every time I reconnect it starts and keeps perfect time. I know someone with a daily driver Super Snipe that had his clock fixed by the same bloke 6 years ago, and it's also still working just fine. I'm not smart enough about electronics to know exactly what he does, but he fits a small external 'box'. The bloke who fixed it is from the Humber Club of South Australia - PM me if you would like his name and phone number

Cheers, Vic