• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SIV and SV stock Hardtop questions

Fergusonic

Donation Time
Given proper rubber and fitment; the Hardtop rattle / squeak when driving?
Given proper rubber and fitment; does a hardtop wear the body paint severely?
Is the cabin hotter, cooler, or the same when sporting a Hardtop vs a Convertible top?
Is the wind sound quieter with a Hardtop vs a Convertible top at Highway speed?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ferg, I can speak for mine only, The Hard Top on my Blue Boy is very quite on the highway at about any speed. Much quieter than the Soft top. I even think it is cooler than the soft top! That might be due to the deflection of the heat rays and the top being well insulated and my soft top is not. I have even given the thought of possibly having a liner made for the soft top.

I have not given much thought to the noise level when the soft top in up until recently. When the soft top is folded away it serves as a bit of a buffer between the trunk and the passenger compartment. When it is up the buffer is no longer there, allowing a bit more noise to enter the front.

Which leads me to another idea I have worked on for some time. There is nothing between the trunk area and the passenger compartment except a thin piece of fabric. Nothing to protect the passenger (s) from a major injury or death should a fire from a fuel leak happen.

With that in mind, I fabricated a sheet metal barrier to seal between the two areas. It will serve two purposes, Fire protection and Noise suppression.Alpine - FIre  protection from trunk and fuel tanks  20170718_111324 (5).jpg

Back to the Hard Top! Mine fits very nicely. It does not squeak or rattle. It is easily removed and re-fitted by me utilizing several thick moving blankets laid across the back and slipped under the top.

You must be extremely careful when fitted, it can scuff the paint! I believe the different rubber pieces available are mainly the culprit. Some are soft but some are harder and possibly cause damage. Several Guys have stated the use of thin plastic underneath the mount area will help.

Bet you will get a lot of comments on this one:)

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
The tops when fitted correctly produce less windnoise than the soft top. If they are insulated they produce a lot less heat transfer and are internally quieter ( also due to what dan mentioned re the soft top insulating noise from the boot ( trunk)

They are probably colder in winter than a well sealed soft top as they are a larger internal area ( my perosnal experience)

They will damage the paint regardless of seals.. You need to apply a thick 3m type film to protevt the paint under the top.

65beam

Donation Time
Over the years I've had several cars with the late style hard top and they all seem to have squeaks at times. This could be due to the density of the corner pads and the center seal running between the corner pads allowing for movement and the wear to the paint. Current pads being sold seems to be softer than the older ones. One big advantage with the hard top is that you'll stay drier in a rain storm.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
They will damage the paint regardless of seals.. You need to apply a thick 3m type film to protect the paint under the top.

Michael, The 3M film was what I was trying to think of when I made my post.

I have never used any. Do you stick it on and leave it or does it come off easily? Any specific product number?

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
Sunbeam Specialties did sell the 3 M film cut to size and shape. It's worth a call to see if he still has it. Like many parts there is no high demand for it so he may no longer sell it. It a basic clear film that you peel the back and stick to the car. It's removable. I had it on the green car prior to restoration but it does allow some damage to the paint so we did't use it again.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael, The 3M film was what I was trying to think of when I made my post.

I have never used any. Do you stick it on and leave it or does it come off easily? Any specific product number?

Dan,

I think 2 things cause the paint damage from the hardtop... Movememt and weight.

The early aluminum tops will scuff the paint a little but the marks buff out, so assume its movement and the seal scuffing.

The later tops seem to almost leave an imprinted edge and perimeter of the scuffs which i suspect is movement and the weight of the steel top

65beam

Donation Time
The best way to look at the later hard top is to consider all the good advantages and learn to live with a couple flaws. Nothing is perfect.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Could it be possible that when I fasten the clamps on my hardtop very tightly that it helps eliminate the squeaking others hear?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Would non-adhesive film cut to size suffice?
i would suspect it might make it worse.... It might provide more movement for the top.

I think the film in place adhered to the surface would be the best option.

Perhaps one of the thicker 1.5-2mm films might offer enough compression to also buffer it.. But just a theory.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I fabricated a sheet metal barrier to seal between the two areas. It will serve two purposes, Fire protection and Noise suppression.
Dan: I don't want to hijack this thread, but find this very interesting! No hurry, but please start another discussion on this topic whenever you feel the time is right to share more details. Jim