• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SII Steering Wheel...

Ktapply

Donation Time
Some advice please......

The steering wheel on my SII is not in very good shape. At one point one of the PO's has tried to repair the cracks with epoxy and it did not go well. I would like to keep it original and regardless there does not seem to be a reliable source of after market products anyway.

Any suggestions for how I can renew the original wheel or is my best bet to keep looking for an original wheel that is better than the one I have?

Thanks,

KT...

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Some advice please......

The steering wheel on my SII is not in very good shape. At one point one of the PO's has tried to repair the cracks with epoxy and it did not go well. I would like to keep it original and regardless there does not seem to be a reliable source of after market products anyway.

Any suggestions for how I can renew the original wheel or is my best bet to keep looking for an original wheel that is better than the one I have?

Thanks,

KT...

There is a local guy that can make your steering wheel look like new.
He re-casts the bakelite in epoxy and puts a wood rim on the wheel.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
KT, it would be helpful if you could post pics of your wheel and we could see the damage and bodged repairs.

If yours is like most of our steering wheels, the hub has cracked and left a wide crevice. There are a number of firms that specialize in steering wheel restoration, and as RootesRacer has noted he knows of a good one.

That being said, if you want to do it yourself many folks have found that JB-Weld works very well for this purpose. It is an epoxy putty which is easy to apply and mold to the proper shape, and when hardened it sands to a nice finish. Once hardened and surfaced, an application of paint will restore it to looking nearly like new. I use Krylon paints and you can choose either gloss black or semi-flat black. I usually prefer the latter as it offers a very plastic-like sheen.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ditto what Kevin said. It is also a good idea to blast the exposed cracks and exposed metal to insure a good bond with the epoxy putty. The wheels came from the factory with a really high shine, but it’s all what you like. I would use a two part epoxy with a cup gun for a really durable finish.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jarrid,

Is the guy you mention the one that does the alpine/tiger wheels for S3 onwards and can either restore the GT wooden rim ones or turn an ST one into a wood rim?

the SI/SII wheels have a different hub and rim, does he have the pattern for those or offer a service for those early wheels?

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
S-II Steering Wheel Repair

POR-15 products has a two part epoxy for filling cracks and it molds like modeling clay. Finishing is easy using water, the same way as finishing clay. It it easy to sand and molding smooth eliminates alot of the sanding. Google has the listing and you can order on line if you do not have a local supplier.

Ktapply

Donation Time
Thank you....

Thanks to everyone and your Suggestions. I ordered the POR-15 Epoxy Putty today and will do the repair myself. If that fails, I will see about getting a new hub made (per Jarid) and going from there.. Standby...

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sounds like a good plan.

BTW, I didn't mention it, but J-B Weld also can be smoothed nicely with a water-moistened finger or spatula for a very slick finish.