• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SII Seat restoration

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
My SII seat leather looks great but the foam is old and crumbling leaving a mess on the matting under the seats. I did a google search on my iPhone for SII seat repair and received a thread from SAOCA that talks about the SII seats not having springs and that the foam sits directly on the pan. One of the contributors to the thread, Alpinell, discussed that he tore down a set. When I used the search feature just now on this forum, I could not find this thread. Anyone know why? That aside, do any of you fellows have experience restoring SII seats? My frames and leather are good. I haven't dismantled the seats, but think the only thing I will nead to do is replace or rebuild the foam. Any suggestions?

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
There is no reproduction seat foams for early series seats. What I did on my S2 was get some modern back seat cushions and then use an electric carving knife to trim them to a close resemblance of the originals. Not fun, but doable for sure. My seat back foams were savable. Try to find one that has close to the bottom configuration of your original. I think I got mine from some type of full size Ford.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Iirc the mga foams were close. Best is to custom make... But at a pinch The MGA foams are easily available

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Outside of original, the miata has a nice seat that is readily available and makes a nice ride even better.

I am partial to the SIII/SIV/SV though.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Outside of original, the miata has a nice seat that is readily available and makes a nice ride even better.

I am partial to the SIII/SIV/SV though.
The s3 onward microcell are very good if rebuilt correctly. The s3-IV with seperate backrest squab especially.
The s3/IV webbing base vs diaphragm support im not sure which offers better springing

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Jan, what thickness do you use for the seat? Do you use the same thickness for both the seat & back? I'm thinking that the 2" x 24" x 80" firm foam from Sailrite would be enough for two seats. What do you think?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, you need to be the judge on that, get your tape measure out and try to measure the thickness. You will probably have to shape the foam too with a sander...but be VERY careful doing that. The front section (where the bleats end) needs to be built up like a bolster so you don't slide off the seat.
Much like this microcell seat that I upholstered for Kellogg's Harrington:
index.php