• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shout out to Kroil.. The oil that creeps....

Ktapply

Donation Time
I am restoring my 62' S2.. Pretty much a complete restoration...I have just finished stripping the steering, suspension and brakes. A-arms are being rebuilt all new brakes, brake lines, coil springs, etc... This car sat for years, albeit it must have been inside... However, it's evident that this is the first time in a long time that many of these components have been removed. I was prepared for a fight with rusted nuts and bolts and did research on what the best penetrating oil would be.. I settled on Kroil and PB Blaster.. I bought a can of each and went to work lubricating everything I could reach. By far.. The Kroil was superior... By far...this stuff is amazing...it penetrates in places that astound me. Not one stuck nut or bolt. Where I used the PB blaster at first I had to redo it with Kroil.. HUGE difference... Kroil is Far superior. it's not cheap nor is it easy to find locally (at last for me). I ordered from Amazon using my Amazon Prime account so shipping was free. It cost be $16.00 for a 13 oz Aerosal can... It's almost gone and I have reordered the larger size can this time around.

I guess I should say that I have NO affiliation to the company that makes this stuff.. Just a very satisfied customer....

KT...

AutoX47

Donation Time
I've been using it too for ~8 years. Any idea on if the Sili-Kroil acually works better than the Aero-Kroil?

agmason54

Donation Time
That's cool you would mention that. After dicussing Matts problem with my gun nut buddy he said to forget PB Blaster and go with Kroil oil.
Agm

socorob

Donation Time
This was probably posted before, but.....
A study done by Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue looked at different penetrating oils to see which one did the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt once treated. If the study was scientifically accurate, it turns out a home brew works best!
Here's the summary of the test results:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

They supposed scientifically rusted several bolts all the same and tested which works best. Liquid wrench isnt too far behind and it's half the price. My local napas have kroil by the way.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I have also read that melting wax into the joint will do the job too. Heat joint, then melt wax (paraffin) into the joint. (Not the fuel, for our UK readers.)

But the home-brew is noted as good by many...

SumBeans

Donation Time
Kroil gets my praise also

I agree with the praise for Kroil. :D Tried the home brew with ATF and acetone having them readily available but the brew did not work as well for my non-scientific test.
WD 40 is a waste of money for myself. I am disappointed to see Chip Foose endorsing it on tv. :eek:
"Water Displacement 40" received it's name from the 40th attempt to create the final combination. It displaces water well, and should not be anywhere near a car having body work performed. :mad: