• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

shocks

Charles Johns

Donation Time
The pictures show the shocks as removed from my SV. They are 9" collapsed and 13" extended. Measured from lower eye center-line to the top of the upper mount base rubber, base being the rubber cushion closest to the shock body. Only 4" travel so if I lower the car just 1" I am in trouble with compressed height. I can modify the lower mount or the upper one but I like more travel than 4" on a highway driven car that may be loaded with luggage and 2 elderly plump gray-hairs. I am researching now.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Sorry guys, I just can't seem to get my pictures matched to my post.

Attachments

• IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2311.JPG
    IMG_2311.JPG
    387.9 KB · Views: 37

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
On a Series Alpine, front shock travel is only about half of the front suspension travel and the front suspension travel is limited by the factory bump stops, not by the factory shocks.

Last edited:

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
On a Series Alpine, front shock travel is only about half of the front suspension travel and the front suspension travel is limited by the factory bump stops, not by the factory shocks.
Actually on all cars I think...if shock travel was the limiting factor you’d have a lot of broken shocks.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Charles, You want to look at wheel travel. The further away the shock is from the wheel the more wheel travel. 4" at the shock is about right. Most lowering shocks are shorter. I like a half inch above mid point of travel at road height. The early Camaro are close to stock. If you lower the front you could look at Pinto/Mustang II shocks. They only have 3" of travel but about 6" at the wheel.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I don't always express myself like an English scholar but I actually DO UNDERSTAND suspensions...kinda. Conjunction for KIND OF...meaning somewhat or almost. I have ordered the ones I need on-line from Monroe that have 8.3" collapsed and 12.75" extended. My Ford motor is a little heavier than the 1725 and I plan to drop the front 1 inch. They are gas charged and should work fine. Very similar to Dodge Dakota shocks. With the top of the spring mounted to the crossmember (fixed) but the shock attached to the upper "A-Arm" the geometry can be confusing during movement for an old straight axle guy. But I finally figured it out...I hope. I put a Mustang II under the 1940 Nash I built and it worked fine for my first independent setup. One reason for using the stock Alpine steering is the Akerman gets crazy when an MG or similar Rack is used. Gas charged shocks and poly bushings in the sway-bar should work okay for the twisties but keep things smooth on the straights with rubber everywhere else. I'll know for sure when I drive it. THANKS for the feedback.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I think it is 87-96 Dodge Dakota 4x4. It doesn't have a bar pin like the Camaro that has to be removed.

Last edited:

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Okay troops, the Monroe Number is 32300 and is 8.3" to 12.75" with the MUST BE REMOVED bottom pin like Camaros. With shipping from AutoPartsKart.com they cost $43.80 for the pair to my front door. They are gas charged and a major brand that should be found anywhere in the US. I look for parts I could get on the road if things go south on a trip. I probably spent 3 hours on-line researching and came up with these numbers: 34774, 37066, 32318, 32388, 32300 and I think all are under 9" collapsed and 12.7" to 13" extended. Several Dodge Dakota shocks appear to work on our Alpines also. Pickup shocks often have stiffer valving for loads so could help in the corners for the Twistie-Turnie guys. Me, I just want smooth and easy with the AC cooling, the 4-banger getting good MPG, and the multi-speaker stereo playing my tunes from way back when.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
260, you are probably in the same range as the Dakota as far as damping, but not all shocks are LT (Light Truck), just like all trucks do not come with LT tires. Some companies prefer the better ride with passenger car tires, and I think some small trucks do the same with shocks/springs/tires so they ride smoother. I have not seen shock "specs" on compression/extension/pressures required and time needed. Valving makes all the difference and oil ability to not foam. Some serious road racer friends know about that stuff...but not me. I limit myself to stuff I am fairly sure about. Loud pipes definitely make a car faster to neighbors, and a flame job can get you arrested even if sitting still. Don't ask how I know.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A tad off topic as it does not refer to the major shock dimensions, but I cannot recommend the use of the KYB Excel-G shock #343127. This is listed as a '68 Camaro front shock. The problem is the cross bar in the bottom shock mount. It is, as usual, too short. The normal procedure is to simply knock it out and insert the Alpine bolt. Not on this baby. The cross piece is vulcanized onto the bushing. Removing it took about 5 tons of pressure and removed the bushing as well. There is no reinserting that baby, at least not in my shop. So I am using an old (but in excellent shape) bushing. I had the inspiration to cut off the ends of the crossbar and insert the Alpine bolt through the steely remains. Well no, not a good option. The remains of the cross bar are oversized and squished into an oval.

Alpine owners would probably be wise to simply return the shock. Nobody has accused me of being wise.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It has been a very long time, but that may well be the shocks I purchased some 15-20 years ago. I had the exact same experience and ended up selling them on eBay - one with the bushing pressed out and one unopened - for about half what I had paid. I have been gun shy of non-Alpine shocks ever since and just assumed the bushing on those shocks was standard for a '68 Camaro. Bill, I know you have experimented with a lot of 'generic' shocks. Are you saying other shocks listed for Camaro's have worked better?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, I don't know what I'm saying. I can tell you what happened. I installed Monroe gas shocks about ten years ago and had no issues. Fast forward ten years and the KYB shock was a major tussle. Maybe others can give us an update on the Monroe shock.

Bill