• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shifter boot problem

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
Hi a question. ( well 2) I changed the gearbox in my S3 GT to the later full synchromesh box. I just received the right gear lever for it. Now when shifting the gear lever boot pulls on the lever when it's in 3rd and wants to pull it out of gear. I checked SS and Rick seems to carry only one gear lever boot for all four speeds. Q1 has anyone else had this happen? Q2 Is there another boot I can fit? thanks. Tony.

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
OL
Is your boot screwed/bolted to the transmission tunnel?
If not, it should be flexible/move enough that there is little or no tension on the shift lever.

On my SIV V6 T5, I just stuffed my boot under the floor mat and it therefore cannot resist /affect the shift lever.
There are other approaches, but this worked for me. ;)

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think all Alpine boots are the same, except for the diameter of the base. The hole in the tunnel of my SV was larger than the base of the new shifter boot I got from SS. So I glued my new boot to the base of an old boot I had. But I have not seen any problem like you describe.

It's possible that the extra rise due to the boot being glued on top of the old base might help your situation.

Tom

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hi a question. ( well 2) I changed the gearbox in my S3 GT to the later full synchromesh box. I just received the right gear lever for it. Now when shifting the gear lever boot pulls on the lever when it's in 3rd and wants to pull it out of gear. I checked SS and Rick seems to carry only one gear lever boot for all four speeds. Q1 has anyone else had this happen? Q2 Is there another boot I can fit? thanks. Tony.

If that is the case, would it not be pulled upon more or less equally in first too?

There is a common transmission ailment that causes it to pop out of third, are you sure that the issue is with the boot?

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
If that is the case, would it not be pulled upon more or less equally in first too?

There is a common transmission ailment that causes it to pop out of third, are you sure that the issue is with the boot?

I agree. Leave the boot off and see If the problem remains

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'm with Harris and chuck, it could possibly be a synchro issue.... Does it happen in certain conditions eg: acceleration under load just after changing gear and it pops out, or lifting off throttle?

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time

After I posted I took off the boot ant went for a 15 mile ride and the box shifted perfectly with no sign of jumping out of gear.

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
Yes the boot is screwed to the floor, will try leaving the screws out and see if I can get the boot as low as possible on the shifter. Will report back. Thanks for the replies.

65beam

Donation Time
boot

The rubber boot should look like this when installed.

Attachments

• 100_0565.jpg
    100_0565.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 43

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
OL;
Looks like your first impression was correct. :cool:
Now to select the best solution and test again.

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
The rubber boot should look like this when installed.

Wow, never mind the boot look at that beautiful interior, drooling here.

Ok I trimmed the bottom ring off the boot just below the first accordion and put the first one inside the tunnel and got the carpet under the second accordion and pushed the boot as far down the gear lever as possible , and the boot had a slight :lean" so faced that forward so just need to road test now when the rain stops. Thanks for all the input.

65beam

Donation Time
boot

The bottom of the boot should have a slot around it in order to secure it to the removable tunnel section.
the interior is from Pro Prep ( Martha ) in California.