• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SeriesIV inquiry

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have picked up a series IV gt with a color code 61...it is a a very early one #315, with a build date of dec2-6 1963..it has an SB after the LRX.. What does that signify?? The car was resprayed "poorly" at some point in dark blue but even the hardtop was originally quartz blue metallic.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Series IV Codes

According to the Tech Data SB indicates the car came with sealed beams.

Hope that helps.

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
continued

Thanks Gary, that would make sense but it just seems a strange thing to stamp on the vin plate. nothing like that on my seriesV, just the color code. I was reading something that showed the 61 color code to be only available up to seriesIII and not available on a IV. Thought it might have meant it was a special order or some such thing.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The very early siv cars have been known to have crossover with s3 cars. Some early siv have the round facet warning lamps, kingpin front ends , your car may have been a special order, or the buyer may have ordered a s3gt in that colour mid 63 and due to the Short production run got into the siv before they did the order?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
The very early siv cars have been known to have crossover with s3 cars. Some early siv have the round facet warning lamps, kingpin front ends , your car may have been a special order, or the buyer may have ordered a s3gt in that colour mid 63 and due to the Short production run got into the siv before they did the order?

Airpine for example has the later style front end but the round facet warning lights.

albeam

Donation Time
colour 61

birdfan 56

my series iv alpine is also colour coded quartz blue. I think it it was built
in a bunch of cars during 21st to the 25th july 1964. As michael said maybe a special order or they had some left over paint. But according to the records
not listed as a series iv colour

albeam

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Hi birdfan
Not an answer to your question but......
I also have a series IV, GT, build date Dec 3 1963, color 61, #304,plate stamped SB. Looks like the hard top was #61 too.
Probably came over on the same boat as yours.

Any idea of the history of your car?

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
It has been in northern california nearly all its life. It was in the sf bay area for years prior to being obtained by its previous owner. He took it to the tahoe area, where it sat in a garage for more than twenty years awaiting restoration that was started but never completed. The original, numbers-matching engine is with the car as are most of the parts....VERY cool that yours and mine are so close together in production and set-up.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Thanks for the reply to my history question.

I don't have have much info on my car. It was a gift from my late son in law,Alan, that he got from someone who no longer wanted to store it. I think it was just a parts car at that time. Son in law passed away shortly later without passing along any information or history.

It has early yellow on black plates and shows 54443 miles, quite rust free except for floors where water has pooled from rain, not from below. Probably spent all its life in SoCal. Most body panels show minor to moderate accident damage however. Makes me think it might have spent some time on a race track! Especially the really scruffy paint work.

Enjoy your new acquisition :)