• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V clutch disc

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Started as a poor quality throw out bearing and has gotten more involved as I go along, found that the starter was chewing up the ring gear,replaced that then decided to go with a gear reduction starter and while the engine is out why not rebuild the original front suspension working on that, while looking at the clutch friction plate (disc) I noticed a few small hairline cracks, my question is replace this 7.5 " ten spline disc or have it rebuilt and if rebuilding is a good idea any recommendations as to a good place to have it done?
Thanks for any insights, Tom j

Attachments

• 16848669871734293974096088328900.jpg
    16848669871734293974096088328900.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We ALWAYS have our clutches rebuilt now rather than buy new parts. The reason for this is that there are various combinations of plates, splines, lever arm mounts etc and as the cars are so old it is not unusual to have a Series V rebuilt with a mix match of earlier Series parts and vice versa. On one car we had the engine and gearbox apart three times because we couldn't work out what the problem was, it turned out to be a difference of around ⅛" in length on the central boss on the new clutch plate. This was enough to give us a great clutch when ¾ depressed and no clutch when fully depressed. Getting the parts that you have and which are working re-conditioned takes a lot of stress away. If you do get new parts makes sure that they are EXACTLY the same as what they are replacing. Can't help with here to have it done as we are in UK.
Tim R

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you go the rebuild route I'd recommend Falcon Clutch in NY. They've done a few for me and have always
done a good job, they're honest , reasonable and pretty fast too! Plus they have an Alpine on their website.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Kip Motor Company rebuilt and threw a coat of paint on a rusty spare clutch plate I had purchased from a forum member. I installed it and have had no issues.

1684932722013.png

Mike

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks so much for the tips. I'm going to give Falcon a shot at relining it.
Tom j

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
TomJ I think you need to update the signature on your POST to read with this addition: (Very Nice) V6 Driver