• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series III with V-6

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I like the trick plenum with the cold air intakes. I think that plenum is the one from the Buick turbo. Someone posted pictures of it a few years back. Wish I could find one......

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

Actually, it is a bonet that K&N sells. The guy that put that bonet on, also put K&N cone filters in front of the front radiator bulkhead.

I have driven this Alpine, right after the owner built it, and it is a good running car, but because of the C4 automatic and the 3.55 gears, it isn´t that quick off of the line. I think the guy has gone a bit too far, saying that it accelerates like a Tiger. I believe in truth in advertising.

If I had the money, I would buy it myself and convert it to a T5 five speed, as it should have had from the begginning. I asked my customer why he wanted to put an automatic in it when he built it, and he said he wanted like that, so his wife could drive it. She never drove it, because she didn´t like his car. I think you should build what YOU want, and if you need to build something else for the wife, then you do that.

Jose

I like the trick plenum with the cold air intakes. I think that plenum is the one from the Buick turbo. Someone posted pictures of it a few years back. Wish I could find one......

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I love this car. I'd repaint it white and maybe add the better automatic discussed in another post. Probably a pretty good cruzer like it is, if you can stand the paint job.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
John,

You have the right idea. It is a great car, only needs a different transmission and different set of rear gears.

Jose

I love this car. I'd repaint it white and maybe add the better automatic discussed in another post. Probably a pretty good cruzer like it is, if you can stand the paint job.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
This Alpine is a great cruiser. I would imagine it would take about 7 seconds to 60, which isn´t exactly in electric wheel chair class. If you want reliability, comfort and not necessarily the quickest car off of the line, this is the V6 Alpine for you.

Jose

p.s. If it were mine, I would still swap out the transmission and rear gears.:)

jimfai

Donation Time
well truth be told jose i have only driven 2 stock tigers before, both of them here in town and i did not find either of them any more noticably quick than this car is? now i have also been in a tiger that was uprated to a 302 and that was much faster than this car. did you drive this car after he had it tuned at the speed shop? i had 3 of these motors with a c4 in my mga, the last one being a full out drag motor built to the specs from the "how to modify ford v6" book and the engine in this sunbeam puts all of them to shame. thats my truth in advertising. besides after placing it on craigslist i have now sold it twice, just waiting for the overpayment cashiers checks to arrive :)

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I have driven it before and after it being tuned, but you have to remember that I am a speed freak that drives only manuals in the V6 conversion, and it doesn´t compare with them. I am not saying that the car isn´t a great car, just that it isn´t a speed demon. If someone is looking for a nice cruiser, this is the Alpine for you.

Jose

p.s. The comment about truth in advertising, is because some guy might think it is a quick as a Tiger, buy the car, and be disappointed.

well truth be told jose i have only driven 2 stock tigers before, both of them here in town and i did not find either of them any more noticably quick than this car is? now i have also been in a tiger that was uprated to a 302 and that was much faster than this car. did you drive this car after he had it tuned at the speed shop? i had 3 of these motors with a c4 in my mga, the last one being a full out drag motor built to the specs from the "how to modify ford v6" book and the engine in this sunbeam puts all of them to shame. thats my truth in advertising. besides after placing it on craigslist i have now sold it twice, just waiting for the overpayment cashiers checks to arrive :)

jimfai

Donation Time
i like to go fast as well jose, but road racing not drag racing? i have a had couple mg's with tuned v6's, 3.4's & 2.8's, i have owned 5 mgb v8's as well as more converted classic mini coopers than anyone else in north america, vtec's, vauxhalls, rovers, turbos and my current 2.0L 200hp puegeot powered car. one of these 2.8's highly tuned can push 180-190hp ? according to the how to modify book and most of the guys on the worldwide capri boards? is that off base? you know more about these than i do. but if its true a stock tiger had what 235hp? bigger heavier motor , for sure more torque but not enough to justify 4 times the price imho. maybe not the fastest off a dead start but lock it into 1st or second gear its got plenty o pep from my driving experience. there is another fellow here in mpls that owns one of your conversions as well as an early tiger and i went and looked at and drove his car with a t5 in it before buying this one and its a dog compared to my car.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

A stock Tiger never had 235 hp. The 260 V8 was rated at something like 160 hp, while the 289 was rated at something about 180 hp, because they came with two barrel carburetors. They were low powered versions of these engines.

If your Alpine is quicker than a five speed V6 Alpine, it has to be because the stick Alpine isn´t running right. The Alpine you are selling, has a set of 3.55 rear end gears in it, which is OK for the C4, but doesn´t do much for acceleration. A five speed V6 Alpine with the same gears will beat your Alpine off the line every time, unless you use a high stall speed converter to get the revs up over 3,000 rpm, where the engine begins to make power, which would make the car pretty much unusable on the freeway, not to mention thirsty for gas.

A modified 2.8 V6 can produce over 200 hp. but your engine isn´t modified to that extent. Your engine is probably producing about 150-160 hp, which is good, but the transmission hampers it by consuming about 20 hp to operate it.

I am a drag racer at heart and an automatic with a high stall speed converter and a set of low gears, can perform pretty well, but an automatic isn´t good for road racing or autocrossing either. It makes a very good cruiser though. Your Alpine is a very nice car, and someone will enjoy it very much.

Jose

jimfai

Donation Time
no problem jose, i think it is a very nice car and i wish one of the minis would sell as than i could keep it, down to whatever goes first or second between the three of them.
jose said "I am a drag racer at heart" thats what i thought drag racing is for fast cars road racing is for fast drivers ! :)
i did do a lot of research about the a4ld after your suggestions and had found a couple for sale but never did anything since i am not sure about keeping it. looking at mid 80's version with the 4 wires into it and the od would operate on an electric switch like mg's did which i thought would be a nice set up. was never clear about what bellhousing i would need?

the local car you might be right about the gears, the car was built by someone in IN. the motor ran strong but from the take off it was so doggy i was shocked, ran out decent above 3500 but who wants to drive at that rpm all the time.

i found a set of very nice old saab ronal minilte style wheels that fit sunbeam pattern in my shed while cleaning out, 6x15 and i put one on the car. they would look great on it with a set of 195/65's, if i end up keeping it i will change out the rims. thanks , jim

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hey Jose

But can you race with that little car you bought to tool around down there in Columbia?So how are you doing? I see there is supposed to be a conversation with Jose at the next Invasion.The planets are going to be in line so I should be there.I told my wife we would be going.I think Paul would be dissaponted with me if I don't make it

I started the Lister today after sitting since November 10th or so.It was so nice to hear that 351 rumbling while warming up,The 62 with the ford racing 302 is just waiting to prowl the streets looking for prey.Oh I regress as I'm no longer a drag racer or a street racer.
I guess I just like the feeling of being pushed back into the seat when you let the beasts out around 20 or 25 MPH.Of course when bugged by someone at a light I flick the pedal and watch him tear like hell to the next light.Then I bug him with a big smile when I pull up beside him
Spring is almost here but strill some snow around.The floodingis the big concern but not where we live

Take care

jimfai

Donation Time
flooding and just plain high water level in the soil!!!! i spent the last year completing a redo of my basement to make it period correct. have had water pouring in for 3 weeks without a break, really a bummer.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
flooding and just plain high water level in the soil!!!! i spent the last year completing a redo of my basement to make it period correct. have had water pouring in for 3 weeks without a break, really a bummer.

This is why we live where we live.we live just about 10 miles north of Winnipeg,Manitoba
In 1826 and 1869 there was a lake thousands of square miles and Winnipeg was under water.This area was tent city for some time.In 1950 it was a bad one again as well as 1997 and 2009.We have a big ditch that was manmade after 1950 as a floodway.They expanded it and it does save a lot of grief

I hope you have good insurance and the goverment has flood relief programs to help out

Where abouts are you

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I believe the A4LD comes with the bellhousing attached, so you would use it.

I don´t know if the V6 Alpine you drove, has one of my cams, but if it did, it would accelerate almost imediately, while really coming alive at 3K. It is really tractable at slower speeds, yet will accelerate strongly when the gas is mashed.

Chris Kemper has the A4LD in his Alpine, and he uses an electric switch, as you mentioned, and he loves it. I would still swap for a T5 five speed, but if you put a set of 4.11 in your 8", and use the A4LD, it will really come alive.

I think those wheels would look great on your Alpine. I hope one of your Minis sells soon.

Jose

no problem jose, i think it is a very nice car and i wish one of the minis would sell as than i could keep it, down to whatever goes first or second between the three of them.
jose said "I am a drag racer at heart" thats what i thought drag racing is for fast cars road racing is for fast drivers ! :)
i did do a lot of research about the a4ld after your suggestions and had found a couple for sale but never did anything since i am not sure about keeping it. looking at mid 80's version with the 4 wires into it and the od would operate on an electric switch like mg's did which i thought would be a nice set up. was never clear about what bellhousing i would need?

the local car you might be right about the gears, the car was built by someone in IN. the motor ran strong but from the take off it was so doggy i was shocked, ran out decent above 3500 but who wants to drive at that rpm all the time.

i found a set of very nice old saab ronal minilte style wheels that fit sunbeam pattern in my shed while cleaning out, 6x15 and i put one on the car. they would look great on it with a set of 195/65's, if i end up keeping it i will change out the rims. thanks , jim

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I could race it, but since my health isn´t very good, I wouldn´t be able to fix it if it broke, like I used to do when I worked on my Alpines.

As I mentioned, my health isn´t too good right now. I really wish I were feeling better, so I could go to Invasion this year. After you saying you are planning to go, I wanted to cry. We have known each other for a long while now, but never have had the pleasure of meeting you in person. I am looking forward to seeing you and all the other guys via SKYPE. I am looking forward to that.

I know you are anxiously looking forward to warmer weather so you can really drive your cars. Which Sunbeam will you be taking to Invasion? I would love to see the Lister. I know you guys will have a great time there. SNIFF! SNIFF!

Jose

Hey Jose

But can you race with that little car you bought to tool around down there in Columbia?So how are you doing? I see there is supposed to be a conversation with Jose at the next Invasion.The planets are going to be in line so I should be there.I told my wife we would be going.I think Paul would be dissaponted with me if I don't make it

I started the Lister today after sitting since November 10th or so.It was so nice to hear that 351 rumbling while warming up,The 62 with the ford racing 302 is just waiting to prowl the streets looking for prey.Oh I regress as I'm no longer a drag racer or a street racer.
I guess I just like the feeling of being pushed back into the seat when you let the beasts out around 20 or 25 MPH.Of course when bugged by someone at a light I flick the pedal and watch him tear like hell to the next light.Then I bug him with a big smile when I pull up beside him
Spring is almost here but strill some snow around.The floodingis the big concern but not where we live

Take care

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Hillman,

I believe the Mustang six speed has the bellhousing as part of the transmission, so wouldn´t bolt up without an adapter. I don´t know what the ratios of the six speed are, but the little 171 cu.in. (2.8 L) V6 doesn´t have a lot of torque to pull too high an overdrive gear. I suppose if you used the six speed, you´d need to run something like 4.22 or 4.56 rear ratio to be able to get it into sixth comfortably.

Jose

Does anyone know if the 6-speed from a newer Mustang is compatible with the T5 (ie. could it bolt up with the same mods)?