• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series III - V HARDTOP WANTED

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
If someone has a hardtop they'd like to sell, please let me know.
Thank you,
Richard Fritz
Summerville, SC

alpine_64

Donation Time
Are you wanting the factory top or just to have a hardtop?

Do you want one to restore or ready to use?

The factory tops are very heavy and tend to be rusty. Good examples complete with stainless trims are quite valuable.

There are 2 current suppliers of tops for the s3-V..

The smoothline tops available in the USA a copy of the period dynaplastics hardtop.

The honeyborne moldings tops which are based on the factory tops but in FG and the rear 1/4 windows are fixed not operable.

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the reply, Mike... Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Are you wanting the factory top or just to have a hardtop? Factory

2. Do you want one to restore or ready to use? The top should be in good condition. It will be restored and repainted.

3. The factory tops are very heavy and tend to be rusty. Good examples complete with stainless trims are quite valuable. Understood

4. I'm not interested in Dynaplastic or fiberglass reproductions. 50 years ago, I used a Dynaplastic top for a dog shelter. They are ugly, did not fit well, and did nothing for the car's appearance.

Best regards,
Rich

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
I stored one of my hardtops outside, thought I would be clever and wrapped it like a Christmas present in a heavy duty tarp then leaned outside against the garage sitting on a pallet. Well a couple of years went by quickly and when I decided to use the hardtop again I found out that several critters and mice had converted it into a condo - still on my to-do list to restore that hardtop (note to self, never assume anything)

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
I have four S4/Tiger hardtop shells and very good hardware to complete three - my plan is to have the shells media blasted and to see what rust repair needs to be done in the next 2 months, then I do have a metal fabricator locally that can fix/make anything metal so goal is to fix as many shells as I can afford (I need to end up with two, one for myself and another for a friend locally) - this will not be inexpensive (my guess for blasting, and metal fabrication, rust proof/sealer, prime, etc.). Worst case I will have some hardtop repair sheet metal or shells needing rust repair to sell. Sorry I can not be of help sooner - will know more my guess in 2-3 months. I have wanted to do this project for years and just have never prioritized (hardtop condo included - ha) and the rush now is that I am going to paint my car soon and want the hardtop color to match the body color. Shipping a hardtop would be awkard and probably expensive, FYI I am in Denver CO.

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, Mr. Boss-Tiger...
If you have 4 tops and think you'll get 3 out of it, don't count me out on one of them. I will need to prep and paint the top no matter where I get one, and I'm not in a rush for it either. The V6 GT won't be ready for some time to come, which is why I would take any of your tops to restore myself. Maybe this would save you restoration time and money? I'll think about getting the top back to Charleston later, right now I'm looking for opportunities to acquire one.
Rich

CArmudgeon

Donation Time
Richard,

I have two tops available, one is straight and complete with all hardware, trim, and weatherstripping, but will need a full restoration. It's currently installed on a non-mobile rust-free Alpine V with brake and clutch issues, which can also be included in the deal. The second hardtop is a shell with windows and trim only, no headliner or other soft trim, but it's in great shape. Message me here if this sounds interesting and we can discuss pricing. I'm in north-central NC.

Steve Hansen

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Steve... Both tops sound good to me. I have no room for another Alpine although I know someone who might want another project car.
If you could send some pictures of the tops, I will give them strong consideration. Thanks for the reply to my search.
Rich

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a fairly good H/T shell. Free to anyone who wants to pick it up in Monterey, Ca.. Many other goodies too, also free.
I don't need them any more, and can't throw them away. Seats, gauges, switches, center consoles, hoods, and many more things.

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the follow-up, Mr. B-T... I have a few hard top prospects, but none are done deals yet. Where are you with your hard top restorations?
Rich

Craigegg

Donation Time
I can, I’m located in Lawrence, Kansas. I’m away from home but will be back home later this afternoon.

Craigegg

Donation Time
There are a few small digs

Attachments

• B661503E-C031-466F-9CCC-1460267C4F02.jpeg
    B661503E-C031-466F-9CCC-1460267C4F02.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 688A798A-EBCA-49FF-BA7A-35A5136BD73D.jpeg
    688A798A-EBCA-49FF-BA7A-35A5136BD73D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • 2CCE805E-A8FA-4BBC-91D4-3B7A90F5046F.jpeg
    2CCE805E-A8FA-4BBC-91D4-3B7A90F5046F.jpeg