• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series II windscreen

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hello All, I'm after some advice and direction as I'm new to the Alpine world..... I have a 62 series II Alpine that needs a new windscreen and rubber installed. Fortunately the previous owner had supplied with the car the new glass and screen rubber (from MacGregor) when I purchased the car last year. I'm confident that I can tackle this install using the my trusty string. Ive searched the forum and read as much as I could find but I think my main question is can this job be done whilst the frame is still on the car. I have read all about the problems of getting the correct rake etc on the frame after if its removed. If I didn't need to this (remove the frame from the car) I would like not to as it all lines up pretty good at the moment with the doors, also the rubber seal from the lower windscreen trim to the body is in good condition and doesn't need to be changed. Ive watched the videos available but these are for later year cars, are there differences on the earlier cars? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Jason

65beam

Donation Time
You'll find the series 2 windshield frame is a four piece unit that needs to be removed from the car and taken apart to do the install. The seal to hold the glass has a tab that sets in the frame. The four corners need this tab trimmed to allow it to fit in the frame when you install the frame pieces. You need to install the seal on the glass and trim the corners to match the old seal so don't destroy it when removing the glass. Then assemble the frame around the glass and seal. I would suggest using stainless screws to assemble the frame. Take your time to fit the frame or you may break the glass. I had two windshields broken last year before I had a different shop install the third when building the LeMans

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thank you! The old seal around the glass is really hard and brittle, I hope i can save the important sections for a reference. Do the breakages (or possibility of breakages) often occur during fitting the four frame sections to the glass or when the the glass is fitted to the car.

65beam

Donation Time
Mine were due to the shop not properly trimming the corners of the tab on the seal and trying to force the frame pieces together.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Be very careful when removing the screws as the have a tendency to seize in the frame. All depends on how and
when the screen was replaced last. The last SII screen I did was a nightmare. I finally had a professional
finish the job. Didn't cost too much and I didn't have to worry about breaking the glass.

Cheers!
Steve

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
From the bad shape of the glass and rubber I'm guessing it could the original glass. I see the two sets of 2 screws at the top on the the left and right side of the vertical side trims, are there more screws that are visible when it is removed from the car that need to be removed?
Cheers!

65beam

Donation Time
You'll find there are screws on the bottom just like the top screws. The screws are chrome plated and the windshield frame is brass so they shouldn't be too tough to get out. I've always let a local shop install the glass.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
When I did my series 2 after having the frame chromed and buying new glass. I assembled the frame, cut the seal to fit, placed the cut seal on the glass and then installed the frame around it with LOTS of soap. I did all the work on a moving pad. The trick is to take your time and take a break if it is not going good. I set the sides on first, then the top and bottom.

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks very much for the advice and tips, I will give it a go this weekend.
Cheers Jason

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hello All, with the great advice above I tackled this today. I'm not going to lie, it was a real nightmare! I wrestled for over 2hours on the floor with trying to get the outer frame back together at the last joint enough to get the holding screws back in..... lots of soap was used as suggested and that helped coupled with trimming the rubber window gasket at the screw holding tabs. No Cracking sounds either during the process. Its now back in the car and it is really "night and day" with seeing through the windshield now. Thanks for all the pointers! onto the next project..... Cheers Jason