• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series II Gas Tank

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interviewer: What is your job at the Rootes Factory?
Employee: Bending gas tank filler tubes..

Nice tank, I could have used it back when.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Series II Gas Filler Tube

My Series II also has the same "chicken neck". According to the Parts Manual there was a modification using a rubber hose if the Series II used a Series III rear wing panel. Anyone seen that?

agmason54

Donation Time
I have seen both SI tanks and SII tanks with cut necks. I have seen both SI and SIIs with uncut necks.There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I always suspected each job was amateur.Did some SIIIs come with SII fenders? I doubt it but there is a green car in the photo gallery with a SIII gas cap and early hardtop, windshield and doors.I would wager it's SIII.
I never looked too closely but it seems that each hose I've seen all use the same type of hose and clamps just like on SIII-V dual tank plumping. I've sold a few with the uncut neck before I ever heard of a cut one. I would ask the seller on Ebay to cut it and save shipping. Maybe some irate worker got fed up with the long neck and took it upon himself to improve the installation. If so I am all for it.It's way easier to install the tank and then slip the neck down in through the hole than up through the bottom.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
One note. I would confirm before buying the tank that the threads for the fuel tank sendor are clear of paint. it is not possible to tap these as the the threads are on a plate which is fixed to the tank and the a tap cannot go into the tank.

I have seen a series 2 which was fitted with a series 3 rear wing presumably due to accident damage. I believe Rootes did sell a kit to connect the filler hose.

socorob

Donation Time
I tapped mine. You just need to use a bottom tap or a thread restorer, which is basically a bottom tap.

agmason54

Donation Time
I see no reason why one could not tap fuel sender screw holes. I doubt if paint would stop the screw from going in.Clodneilius J Clutzenbomb taught me to make a tap by filing a point and then a groove on the proper screw...
Agm

MadMax

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have seen both SI tanks and SII tanks with cut necks. I have seen both SI and SIIs with uncut necks.There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I always suspected each job was amateur.Did some SIIIs come with SII fenders? I doubt it but there is a green car in the photo gallery with a SIII gas cap and early hardtop, windshield and doors.I would wager it's SIII.
I never looked too closely but it seems that each hose I've seen all use the same type of hose and clamps just like on SIII-V dual tank plumping. I've sold a few with the uncut neck before I ever heard of a cut one. I would ask the seller on Ebay to cut it and save shipping. Maybe some irate worker got fed up with the long neck and took it upon himself to improve the installation. If so I am all for it.It's way easier to install the tank and then slip the neck down in through the hole than up through the bottom.
thanks for this info. Our S1 tank was old and bits of paint plugging up fuel line. Pulled tank, had professionally cleaned and resealed and are now trying to get the long necked beast back in. Damn impossible to get the end of the filler neck back out through the gasket in the chrome ring at the body....