• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series II front leaf spring bushings?

Ktapply

Donation Time
Why is it that no one sells replacement front leaf spring bushings for the series II? The appear to the the same inside and outside diameter as the shorter rear bushings? Am I missing something?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
A hacksaw?
Not a SII owner, (so this is an unresearched guess) but is it possible to cut one and stack it with an unmodified one to do the job?

agmason54

Donation Time
K
I have had several SII leafs break and replaced them but I have never had to replace a worn bushing. I would just find a good used SII replacement spring and bolt it on. The last set I removed made me laugh..... Some clown had welded a broken 2nd leaf to the main one with the bushings therefore I have one good set of used bushings in my pile of busted SII springs. SII rear springs are unique to them selves as are SI springs.Ken may be right about the hack saw. My passenger side springs were breaking from hauling my pet gorilla around. Check him out and my one of a kind Jesse James chopper bicycle I cobbled together at home in my kitchen.
Agm

Attachments

• 102_4780 (Large).jpg
    102_4780 (Large).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 45

Ktapply

Donation Time
Ok but.....

I don't understand why someone makes the rear bushing but not the front. Its the same diameter but 1/2 inch longer. I am restoring the car and want to replace as many of the original components that have worn out over 60+ years and 100k miles as possible.

Ktapply

Donation Time
K
That beats being short one half inch.... Saw em off.
Agm

That's the issue.. The front Bushings are an half an inch longer than the rear. Unless you've got a bushing stretcher in all that stuff of yours I am not sure what to do. I am checking around to see if someone/anyone might have them. If not I'll just leave the alone and hope for the best.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Not to belabor the point... or perhaps I was not clear.
If you can get ones that are too short, buy an extra one, and cut as much as needed off the extra one to install along with the too-short one. Since the bushing is entirely constrained by the spring, frame, and bolt/washers, it will perform as needed. Knowledge of the mod will be limited to those who take it apart to investigate.

If you're concerned about twisting loads, due to cornering, maybe make the two pieces more equal in size. For example, 2" + 2", instead of 3" + 1". (Don't know the real dimensions, though...)

Ktapply

Donation Time
May be the best solution....

Not to belabor the point... or perhaps I was not clear.
If you can get ones that are too short, buy an extra one, and cut as much as needed off the extra one to install along with the too-short one. Since the bushing is entirely constrained by the spring, frame, and bolt/washers, it will perform as needed. Knowledge of the mod will be limited to those who take it apart to investigate.

If you're concerned about twisting loads, due to cornering, maybe make the two pieces more equal in size. For example, 2" + 2", instead of 3" + 1". (Don't know the real dimensions, though...)

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion and I agree with you that it may be what I am left with if I am unable to find the "right" bushings. Thanks......

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Have you tried Speedy Spares in the UK? I've always had good luck with them for hard to find stuff. Worth a shot.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a Ser II that I installed new leaf springs with Energy Suspension bushing that were from an 1960s Ford I think, I just match up the sizes.
The odd thing is on a Ser II the front of the spring is narrower than the rear it steps in a 1/2" a 1/4" on each side in the front.