• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

series 3 Trans Ratio

mototron

Donation Time
Hello All
does anyone know the gear ratios of a series 3 Trans?
and how to identify the trans ?
What would be the date ranges on the trans ?

Thanks
Rocco

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rocco cant remember off the top of my head.. but IIRC the SV all sync trans had ratios very similar so the added bonus of the "taller 1st" and stacking was comparative to the SII. Date codes will be '63

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ratios according to....

On page 133 of the Sunbeam Rapier, Alpine 1955-65 Autobook by Kenneth Ball reads as follows:

Rapier I & II Top 1.00:1
Third 1.49:1
Second 2.47:1
First 3.19:1
Reverse 4.04:1

Alpine III; Top 1.00:1
Third 1.39:1
Second 2.14:1
First 3.35:1
Reverse 4.24:1

All other models: Top 1.00:1
Third 1.23:1
Second 1.89:1
First 2.96:1
Reverse 3.75:1

Would it be safe to assume that beings there were no specific listings for the Alpine I or II that "All other models" would include them?

DanR

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just Quoting the Book....

Just quoting the Book in reference that has sold thousands of copies.

Maybe a research of the PARTS MANUAL could BE OF some HELP?

Some other data can be obtained from the publication SAOC - The Alpine Guide, published by The Sunbeam Owners Club of the UK issue 2 page 12 where is does say the S III gearboxes were very close ratio, SV are moderately close and all others are wider ratio in common with many other Rootes cars.

DanR

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Just quoting the Book in reference that has sold thousands of copies.

DanR

Workshop manual says otherwise.

Only the SIII had what is called the close ratio transmission, yes the latest (SV) allsynch trans had a relatively close ratio trans, but not as close or as coveted as the SIII.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
No argument here!

Besides, I am still stumped on my Hot coil.

In the process of changing out dizzy and stock coil, now to get the wiring strait...

DanR

65beam

Donation Time
ratio

since the transmissions are roughly 50 years old what are the chances of a trans having the correct ratio gears. what was correct then doesn't mean that's it is now.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob, it's the number of of teeth on a gear and mated to another that make a ratio.... I think that is what my Dad told me!

If a tranny is 40 years old or older does it lose teeth yet still functional?

Just the ratio is no longer what it was new?

Am I reading your reply correctly? Or am I missing something?

Probably me, I'm 75 and going on the next "Big Number" soon.:D

DanR

agmason54

Donation Time
Dan the Man
I was driving an Slll the other day and will say that it seems to wind out better in third gear better than all the other series.I had a GT for sale but could not part with it after flogging for a fews days with no buyers anywho
I say Sllls are the most fun to abuse...The ratios are also in the ClassicSunbeam by Chris McGovern
Agm

mototron

Donation Time
Yes I am looking to get a tighter ratio between 3rd and 4th
than my series 5 trans
Just put a set of 4:55 rear gears in the race car
to see if that helps get better pull in 3rd coming out of the corners
I do not know what the 4:55 Ham came out of
Bigger diameter gear but with 6 bolts holding on the ring instead of 8
Hope it hold up for the weekend

Rocco

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Big Al, I thought of McGoverns Book and started for it , then got side tracked, memory loss I guess;)

Great book!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Yes I am looking to get a tighter ratio between 3rd and 4th
than my series 5 trans
Just put a set of 4:55 rear gears in the race car
to see if that helps get better pull in 3rd coming out of the corners
I do not know what the 4:55 Ham came out of
Bigger diameter gear but with 6 bolts holding on the ring instead of 8
Hope it hold up for the weekend

Rocco

The SV trans is almost as good as the SIII if you think it will count, drop one of those in there before embarking on a search for a SIII close ratio, they really are rather rare these days.
If you have an allsynch, it may not be the later SV with the closer ratios as SIV had wider ratios like the earlier transmissions but with synchros on all 4 fwd gears.

The 4.55 came from a Hillman Minx (or equiv.) that had 15 inch wheels.
Along when the Alpine came out, the Minx and its derivatives went to 13 inch wheels and the ratios dropped to 4.22 and 3.89.

The 4.55 gearset is not as strong as the later, mostly becuase its a bevel gear type R&P as compared to the hypoid. Its still plenty strong for such a light car.

If you could fine a 4.44 that would be ideal, hypoid and a decent racing ratio.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Based on what rear end you are planning, What RootesRacer says sounds like it will be great for your situation (4.44)

I agree with him about the SV "almost as good" too!

The SV trans is almost as good as the SIII if you think it will count, drop one of those in there before embarking on a search for a SIII close ratio, they really are rather rare these days.
If you have an allsynch, it may not be the later SV with the closer ratios as SIV had wider ratios like the earlier transmissions but with synchros on all 4 fwd gears.

The 4.55 came from a Hillman Minx (or equiv.) that had 15 inch wheels.
Along when the Alpine came out, the Minx and its derivatives went to 13 inch wheels and the ratios dropped to 4.22 and 3.89.

The 4.55 gearset is not as strong as the later, mostly becuase its a bevel gear type R&P as compared to the hypoid. Its still plenty strong for such a light car.

If you could fine a 4.44 that would be ideal, hypoid and a decent racing ratio.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just thought about a Hillman Minx station wagon a friend has (or had) not sure if he still has it. (Almost junk).

What rear end would it possible have?

mototron

Donation Time
does anyone have a rear axle hub that they can overnight
to me
Just bent one in the press trying to get it off
Oneside came right off the other will not budge even with heat

Jim if you out there ,I could use one of the hubs I gave you

Thanks
Rocco

65beam

Donation Time
ratio

dan,
the series 3 had non syncro trans in them. when we were rebuilding the trans for the lemans I was made aware that there were three different first gears for the non syncro. which one fits? we also found some weird things in the full syncro trans we were going to use in the series 4. it was in a car for years but when we put it in the series 4 it took little doug one shift at higher rpm's to find it had faults. a lot of the parts are still at the shop. I think you misunderstood that just because it should have had a specific part doesn't mean it has that part now. over the last 50 years a lot of things may have been changed that create problems now.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did my first autocross at SUNI IV with my original Series III (I'm the second owner). Thought I was an amazing driver when I took first by 3 seconds faster than second place. Then I later read about the Series III close ratio transmission. Clearly the 50 year old transmission provided a huge advantage for a rookie on that particular course. My second autocross was at our Northwest gathering of Sunbeam/Rootes marques, put on by the Pacific Tiger Club, with my Harrington Le Mans sporting a factory (original owner said he ordered it from the factory) limited slip rear end and an updated all synchro transmission/OD. Took second to an awesome driver, Dick Sanders. As Snoopy would say to the Red Baron, "Someday Red Baron (Dick Sanders) someday."

Mototron, I understand your difficulties of trying to remove the hub from your Sunbeam axle. I am having the same difficulty on my limited slip axle. Anyone out there with a suggestion please share. By the way the limited slip axle has 9 large splines as oppose to the early Series Alpine 17 splines or later Series Alpine 25 splines.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Answered my own question on hub removal. I used a high grade hub puller and applied high heat at the hub right over the woodruff key slot. Popped the end of the tightened hub puller shaft with 3lb hammer 4 or 5 times and bam the hub broke loose.