• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 3 ST Dash.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I'll open a new thread on this so I'm not hijacking a different one.

My S3 ST came with a dash that appeared to be completely original. It was finished in a fine fuzzy flocking. In areas around the edges and under the instruments that were not exposed to the elements it was very obvious compared to the exposed parts which were somewhat worn off. It appeared to be 100% factory applied - very even and completely covered on all the front & side surfaces. A forum member recently said that S3 ST's had dashes that were wrinkle painted.

So the question is - how were the S3 ST dashes finished? Flocked, wrinkle painted, some of each type???

Thanks for your input.

Mike

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
My S3 ST dash certainly isn't fuzzy, but I wouldn't exactly call it wrinkle either. More of a fine grain texture.

Rick

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike please see attached the dash of this early S3 ST. The owner was going for stock and refinished it per what was left in protected areas, a balck wrinkle finish. Quite fine grain.

Im not doubting what you found on your car, id just be surprised at flocking given the location and exposure. They did flock the glove box cubby.

index.php

index.php

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I have attached the picture of the original dash again. Up on the top edge which is somewhat protected by the dash overhang, you can kind of make out the fuzzy flocking. It was much more prominent on the non exposed parts. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of those areas. The exposed areas could easily be mistaken for chalky/faded paint due to exposure. I'm not a stickler for originality, but very curious about whether or not they ever came from the factory with flocking. I restored the dash with a kit I purchased on line. It is suitable for outdoor use, so I'm not worried about it not holding up. I love the way it came out - like a jewelry box with the instruments being the jewels.

Attachments

• Original Dash.jpg
    Original Dash.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180802_195421_resized.jpg
    20180802_195421_resized.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 27