• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 3 SAL Numbers

ALC 68A

Donation Time
The VIN on the Alpine in the Nebraska scrapyard, pictured in the "Discoveries" section, is unfortunately illegible, but the SAL number 252128 is clear. Checking against the Series 3 list in the Registry shows an Alpine with an SAL 252130 (VIN B9200657 - coincidentally also Autumn Gold like the scrap car), so perhaps the two cars were within a few chassis numbers of each other (but perhaps not! - see below).

My Series 3 B9203246, built week commencing 17 June 1963, is SAL 253333 and the nearest car with a recorded SAL is B9203215 (SAL 253318), which is roughly in the same ball park. But how does B9200657 which is more than 2,500 chassis numbers earlier than mine, have an SAL only 1,200 numbers earlier? I can appreciate that body shells are likely to have been built up more quickly than finished cars, leading to a certain amount of stockpiling and complete cars with VINs out of sequence with SALs, but this would suggest that shells would have been stored for months prior to completion. That doesn't seem to indicate efficient stock control or production processes and while such things were considered less important back in the 1960's, surely no company could allow things to get that slack?

Also, why are some SALs recorded as five figure numbers and some as six? The two different number sequences are scattered randomly through the Registry entries, so it can't be due to production dates. Were there two different number sets operating in the factory at the same time, perhaps to indicate different sources for the body shells? I thought that all Rootes panels came from British Light Steel Pressings in Acton, but perhaps there were others.

Steve G

mikephillips

Donation Time
Pressed steel made the bodies under contract with Rootes and they applied the SAL numbers. My guess is that being built in a separate facility and brought to Rootes, along with the fact they built bodies for a number of british manufacturers caused things to vary back and forth. I'd be reluctant to say this small sample constitutes a true pattern, I'd want to see across all production to get a feel for it. I suspect you'd see the distance between SAL and VIN vary back and forth.

As for 5 or 6 digits, I've always seen them as 6. My guess again is that since the SAL tag was painted with the shell perhaps a digit has been sometimes filled in and not noticed by the current owner who entered the information.

65beam

Donation Time
5 digit were ST 6 digit GT
My series 4 and series 5 are both ST and they have six digit SAL numbers. There were no series 5 GT's sold in the states so that doesn't enter into the mix. Maybe bodies intended for the states carried a different sequence of numbers on the body tags as did the bodies coming down the Alpine line that were intended to be sent to Jenson for the conversion to a Tiger.

65beam

Donation Time
Are you saying all bodies built by pressed steel did not use the same number of digits on the SAL tag? Keep in mind I'm not asking about cars that carry an RAS tag.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Pressed steel made the bodies under contract with Rootes and they applied the SAL numbers. My guess is that being built in a separate facility and brought to Rootes, along with the fact they built bodies for a number of british manufacturers caused things to vary back and forth. I'd be reluctant to say this small sample constitutes a true pattern, I'd want to see across all production to get a feel for it. I suspect you'd see the distance between SAL and VIN vary back and forth.

As for 5 or 6 digits, I've always seen them as 6. My guess again is that since the SAL tag was painted with the shell perhaps a digit has been sometimes filled in and not noticed by the current owner who entered the information.

It appears in the SV registry that the VIN and SAL numbers steadily diverge. Perhaps CKD's account for this.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
At the same time that series 5 cars were being built there were bodies coming down the same line that were intended to go to Jenson to be converted to Tigers. The bodies going to Jenson had JAL tags but has anyone ever taken the time to see if the numbers have any relation to the numbers on the SAL tags of Alpines being built at that time.

ALC 68A

Donation Time

The possibility of mistakes in transcription did occur to me, but there seems to be far too many five figure numbers for that to be the only explanation.

Rootes 66

Donation Time
The system was slightly different for Series IV & V 's in that Series IV ST's were designated a number beginning SAL 35#### and GT SAL 37#### and Series V ST's SAL 60##### and GT's SAL 64####.
They had to differentiate between the two different body shells at PSF at the body assembly stage.
As Bob suggests there could be big gaps in SAL numbers of Series IV & V if bodies went to West Brom for Tiger modification, I don't know.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
The system was slightly different for Series IV & V 's in that Series IV ST's were designated a number beginning SAL 35#### and GT SAL 37#### and Series V ST's SAL 60##### and GT's SAL 64####.
They had to differentiate between the two different body shells at PSF at the body assembly stage.
As Bob suggests there could be big gaps in SAL numbers of Series IV & V if bodies went to West Brom for Tiger modification, I don't know.
Thanks. That's clear and a question I have often wondered, but never seen answered before.