• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 3 motor and trans

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
I have a series 3 motor, and transmission for sale.
I was told it was running when removed. It came with my Alpine as a spare when I bought it.
$800
Can be picked up, I'm in Florida

Attachments

• 20200809_143530.jpg
    20200809_143530.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200809_104134.jpg
    20200809_104134.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 72

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
That doesn't appear to be S3. Trans looks like it has a 61 date. S3 also didn't have the radiator tank.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I am not sure what production month of the year an Alpine gets deemed a new car model for the next new calendar year. For many years for American cars this is generally in the fall. There of course have been exceptions. In addition to the year an Alpine is shown as being from, according to SAOCA data here, there were physically over 100 Series II Alpines built in calendar year 1963. If fall 1962 Alpines were considered 1963 models, that number is even higher.

Rick

alpine_64

Donation Time
That doesn't appear to be S3. Trans looks like it has a 61 date. S3 also didn't have the radiator tank.
True.. But likely a s3 motor in a sii hence the addition of the header tank. Look at the zenith manifold.. Is the unique s3 one with the booster take off that's been plugged with a hose and bolt

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
In addition to dropping the header tank, I believe series 3 was when they started putting the coil over on the cowl support struts as opposed to be bolted to the engine valve cover to prevent it from getting as hot. If we can get Wayne to get a shot of the serial number on the other side of the engine, that will help.

Rick

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Yup. Series 3 March 1963 by that number. But some things apparently changed to make it seem older.

Rick

RootesRacer

Donation Time

SII to late SIV all used the same cases, the date is a casting date and holds no differentiation other than it tells you its not earlier than that mfg date range. The Series III trans is the most desirable IMO as it is the close ratio transmission, unfortunately the only way to ID these is to spin the input and output to determine what the gear ratios are (or pull the shifter cover and mark/count teeth).

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yup. Series 3 March 1963 by that number. But some things apparently changed to make it seem older.

Rick
Dont think to make it look older.. They said was a series ii it came from..so just switch the thermostat housing over and header tank amd plu the vac for the booster and plug into the sii. Job done

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Ok, that could be. I wasn't suggesting someone was trying to make it look older. Just saying that the changes from a standard SIII, header tank and coil on valve cover, which are older items/methods, throws off the observer a bit initially. I obtained a series 5 with a series 4 motor and tranny and 1969 Alpine GT Stromberg carbs from a PO. It threw me off initially as well.

Rick

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I understand about the casting date of the trans housing, but is it very likely they had one sitting around for a couple of years before packing it with S3 gears?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
To me it looks as if the block and the inlet manifold are definite S3 parts. The carbs come from a S2 if not S1 plus they don't have S3 filters. Expansion tank earlier model as said. Would assume gearbox comes out of S2 too. After all a compilation of S3 and S2 parts. Anyway a nice combo which deserves a good home...