• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 door rattle strips

socorob

Donation Time
Did the series 2 originally have the fuzzy rattle strips on both the inside and outside of the windows? The reason I ask is because this weekend I took the doors off my parts car to disassemble them and that's how it was on there. The last date I can fi d on anything to do with the car is 1974, and the pieces look old enough. For my car, I ordered the outer strips from SS and they were the kind that wipe the window like a squeegee but the clips dont seem to fit right and they mostly fell off in a few weeks. I decided to rebuild the window tracks so I want to get it all straightened out while I have it all apart.

65beam

Donation Time
strips

all of the series 2 cars i have had used the fuzzy strip on both sides of the door window. i bought the outer rubber from SS and it did not work on the red harrington.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Did the series 2 originally have the fuzzy rattle strips on both the inside and outside of the windows? The reason I ask is because this weekend I took the doors off my parts car to disassemble them and that's how it was on there. The last date I can fi d on anything to do with the car is 1974, and the pieces look old enough. For my car, I ordered the outer strips from SS and they were the kind that wipe the window like a squeegee but the clips dont seem to fit right and they mostly fell off in a few weeks. I decided to rebuild the window tracks so I want to get it all straightened out while I have it all apart.

Robbie,

the new clips for the outer weather strips are known not to work well.. they are not as highly sprung steel and they just dont hold the deals on .. many people add a touch of silicone or other adhesive to the rubber before inserting into the metal clips. The other thing to note is that SI and some SII's had a different style of metal clip, smaller and a lot more painful to get out of the door bottoms when you drop them.

As for the fuzzy anti rattle strip.. quite sure they were inside only and the rubber one on the outside to stop the water going down into the door... did it look like the rattle strip on the outside could have still acomodated the outer rubber seal as well?

65beam

Donation Time
strips

i looked thru my rootes parts books and early books show the fuzzy strip was originally used on the outside on series 1 & 2 instead of the rubber. i also looked at another rootes parts book dated march 1963 and it shows the original fuzzy strip for the outside was superceded at that time by the rubber strip. the original fuzzy strip did not use a separate clip. it had the clip built in much like the furflex.

socorob

Donation Time
I would prefer to use the rubber one since i already have it and it would keep out some of the water. Those clips are useless so I dont consider using them even an option. I haven't tried but is it even possible to drill about 4 holes along the rail and screw the piece on, or is it too much of an angle to drill accurate holes?

65beam

Donation Time
strips

i tried drilling a junk door when i was working on the harrington and it's next to impossible to get it right. no room to drill. you might try a clip of the type that upholstery shops use to secure material under seats. it's a U shaped clip that you could push on from the bottom. the problem i ran into with the rubber is that the window opening in the door itself looks to be smaller in width than on later cars and the rubber rick sent me was too large and caused the rubber to come off as the window was rolled up. i think the angle on the lip inside the door is different than later cars and causes the rubber to set tight against the glass.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Bet you could drill a set of holes if you made a jig for it. Ues a scrap piece of steel or wood and drill a hole through it at the angle you'd need to tilt the drill on the door. Then either leave a lip the would hook over the outside of the door or reach inside and clamp it to the lip, leave the piece wide for this, and then the drill bit shouldn't tend to wander. Carpenters do this to drill at angles into wood.

socorob

Donation Time
I'm going to start looking around at other convertibles and see what they have and if it would fit better than the later series stuff. Maybe something from an BL car, Fiat, VW, etc may work better. The new strip is too wide and mine came half way off the 2nd or 3rd time I used the window. Its definitely not the right thing to use unless there are no other options.

hotrod

Donation Time
Take a look at Restoration Specialties & Supply Inc. They carry all many types of this type of weatherstrip and fasteners.