• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 carb leaks fuel

Craigegg

Donation Time
Does anyone know why I have fuel leaking from around the bottom of my carb? I changed the o ring on the main jet, I’m not sure if it fits properly or maybe another issue.
Any ideas?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
What carb is it, Zenith, Solex or Stromberg? Photo would help ID it too....

alpine_64

Donation Time
The zeniths have a habbit of weaping fuel... Constantly.. Even in the period road tests you see it.

They usually weap from around the top plate which would run down the carb and gather at the base.

Spray carb clean all over them and brush with a tooth brush. Then see if its coming from up higher...

Could be coming from both...

Last edited:

Craigegg

Donation Time
Thank you, it seems like after I replaced the head after a valve job, little things keep appearing.

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have had a similar problems. It seems as if the lower carb assembly wore significantly (became looser) from the butterfly shaft's action and created a larger shaft opening. If you have shaft "play", that could be where the leak is from.

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
I couldn't find the replacement parts (2 carbs, of course) for the lower carb (the butterfly body for lack of a better term) so used a two-part epoxy on the shaft to tighten things up. I don't suspect it will last forever, but it is "still working" after two warm seasons of short driving. So maybe it's a good temporary fix. Good luck!