• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

seat foam for early series

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm in the process of redoing the seats in one of my early alpines and have been trying to find a seat foam that is acceptable for this application. I went to a boat cushion place and was informed that it is not as compact a foam as automobile seats use. I took a couple rear seat cushions out of a couple different cars and aside from the heavy wire frame cast into them they are not easy to cut to conform to the shape of the early cushion. How have you guys dealt with this issue? Any advice will be gladly accepted.
Thanks,
Jeffhttp://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

johnd

Donation Time
I took my SII seats to an upholstery shop where the foam had to be custom cut. Cost me about $400 just for the foam inserts.

dwolff706

Gold Level Sponsor
Junkman,
The only luck I've ever had cutting foam was with an electric carving knife but never tried to make a seat cushion. Good luck, D

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ive heard of people using mga seat foams in the past.. Maybe try and get the measurements and see how close they are. Someone like moss motors might help

65beam

Donation Time
foam

Find a shop that does custom upholstery work such as street rod interiors. These seats had no foam that was usable. These shops have access to foam with various density.

Attachments

• 109_0674.jpg
    109_0674.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 30

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
foam

Thanks for the responses guys I'll probably try them all, starting with the electric knife!

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
I re foamed a motorcycle seat, bought a back seat of a Lincoln (I think) from the wreckers for about $10 and carved it with an electric carving knife, worked well.

beamS3

Donation Time
Tim Raymond, (Horn #48 from 1987) describes using MGB Squabs Left to Alpine Right & right to left. V Notching the front face 2" wide by 1.5" deep and glueing the cut faces together. "This will then give the same profile across the front as the original Alpine Microcell filling does."

Bob

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
You can sculpt the foam with an angle grinder and flap sanding wheel. Go slow and in a direction that is away from the wheel rotation.

Mike