• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Searching

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Is there some way to do advanced searches, like for phrases or making sure all words are in the post?

I tried adding "+" in front of words and using "AND" but it just doesn't seem to work.

It's really hard wading through zillions of posts because I can't narrow it down. For example, I want to search for "license plate bracket", but end up with anything that speaks of brackets OR plates OR licenses.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, I tried searching for that exact phrase, and putting it *in quotes* (like this ---> "license plate bracket") I came up with only 3 hits which contained that exact phrase.

If you search with license+plate+bracket (note, no spaces!) you get every instance where all three words are present, but not necessarily in a single phrase - there's 7 hits on that.

You may also want to search for variations, like "holder", "hanger", "mount" or "frame" instead of "bracket"; "number" plate (UK usage) instead of "license" plate; and "tag" instead of "plate" (US usage only).

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Well, I tried searching for that exact phrase, and putting it *in quotes* (like this ---> "license plate bracket") I came up with only 3 hits which contained that exact phrase.

Really? That's what I want to do. Where did you enter that phrase? When I entered "license plate bracket" with the quotes I got 20 pages of results?

Showing results 1 to 25 of 499
Search took 2.67 seconds; generated 3 minute(s) ago. Search: Key Word(s): "license plate bracket"

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I used "Advanced Search". It shows up as an option in the box when you click the "search" button at the header of this page.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Todd, I've run searches many times, I've decided results are dependent on the complex interaction of the moon, sun, position in the Zodiac and the disposition of the ghosts of Lords Rootes and Lucas.

In other words, good luck.

Bill

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I used "Advanced Search". It shows up as an option in the box when you click the "search" button at the header of this page.

Yep, I'm using the "Advanced Search". Doesn't seem very advanced to me.:mad:

-enter "license plate bracket" (including the quotes) in the Key Words field
-User Name is blank
-select Search Entire Posts
-select Search All Open Forums
-checked Also search in child forums (tried that unchecked as well)
-tried both Show Results as Threads and Posts

also tried "license+plate+bracket" in the Key Words field

Tried IE 6.0 and FireFox 2.0

Every time I get 499 results. :confused:

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Yeah, search sucks. There used to be an "all words/any words" choice, but no more. You also can't search for words with just three letters. Maybe I'm just not up to speed on my boolean operators, but no joy. I know other forums using this software are set up that way...

I'm using a boat trailer license plate bracket, by the way. Galvanized steel, and cheap, too. But hardly original.

Ken

lgurley

Donation Time
Thanks for adopting my idea

Please let me know how to get a pass word to get into the new politics/rant etc. section.