• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SAOCA Profits

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There has been some talk in the past about about charging slightly excessive fees in order to accumulate a little excess cash. I'm wondering if anyone would be in favor of doing this in order to hold an Invasion at a race trck. I checked into the Putman Park Raceway for Invasion V and it was $6500. I suppose other facilities would be similarly priced. Too much for such a small club. But if we could save (or make) say, 600 dollars each year, every 5 years we could rent the joint and the cost would be about $100 each if only 30 cars showed up.

We could invite Tigers and charge double, maybe triple the Alpine rate! Or maybe charge according to max speed on the main straight.

BTW, the 6500 bucks was for a weekend and included radios, corner workers and everything needed to run hot laps but no racing. Just something to think about and possibly discuss.

Bill

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
I had thought about the same thing but only at Route 66 "Chicagoland Speedway".
After all, it is about in the middle of the country.
What size track is Putman, and where is it located?
I just wonder , would we have to pass tech?
What type of safety equipment would be required?
Who carries the insurance?
Sure would make for a great time though!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jeff, Putman Park is located about 40 miles west of Indy. Out in the boonies. Not really recommending it, its the only track I know anything about. It can be about 1/2 mile or 1.8, depending on which options you choose.

I don't know anything about about tech, but I'd expect they do at least a minimal inspection to be sure things are properly attached, the brakes work and steering is not about to fall off. I choked on the $6500 before I got down to the nitty gritty of actually renting the track.

Insurance, they provide $3 million worth. They have a wesite here:

www.putnampark.com/

Really a nice facility in a beautiful setting and enough of a track that it has been used instead of the Indy Speedway for rookie testing.

Bill

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
So is there any intereset?
I think it would add some real excitement!
And gee, just think how many Tigers would be there once the word got out!
In reality though, the more the merrier.
So I guess we first see if there's an interest, then research tracks to see what's available and when. I'd really love to see an event where a very high majority of members could attend. Like you say, if we could get something like this planned for every 5th get-together, it would be like a reunion thing for folks to plan way in advance for and therfore perhaps a larger turn out.
What say ye?

mikephillips

Donation Time
Safety equipment would be probably the big question with any track, depending on what they require, how many members would qualify for "hot" laps. That being said, I don't have a problem with it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not sure what you are talking about when you mention safety equipment. I do remember they make arrangements for an ambulance to be on hand.

When I talked to them, they knew I was inquiring about use of the track for Sunbeam Alpines. They knew they are old street cars and did not have a problem with that, said they would provide everything we would need to come out and have a good time. They do this with other clubs and in fact, suggested we might share a weekend with an existing user club. I think that a good roadworthy Alpine with seatbelts would pass safety muster. I think that's probably why they stipulated no racing.

If there is serious interest, I'd be glad to run over there and get solid info. As I said earlier, I mentioned Putnam Park as it is the only place I had ANY info about.

Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
The question mostly was about with type belts and possibly helmets. And of course, different tracks may require different items. And, better not invite Doug Jennings.....

65beam

Donation Time
track use

mike ,

why would you not invite doug? i have never seen him drive wild in anything. now ;little doug is different.

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi Bill! I don't know if I would make it there from Kingston but I would certainly be willing to pay a little extra each year. I've only been a member for a little while but have already benefited greatly from the expertise of other members. Even if I didn't make it I'd know that the extra money I put in was helping out members who had helped me!

There has been some talk in the past about about charging slightly excessive fees in order to accumulate a little excess cash. I'm wondering if anyone would be in favor of doing this in order to hold an Invasion at a race trck. I checked into the Putman Park Raceway for Invasion V and it was $6500. I suppose other facilities would be similarly priced. Too much for such a small club. But if we could save (or make) say, 600 dollars each year, every 5 years we could rent the joint and the cost would be about $100 each if only 30 cars showed up.

We could invite Tigers and charge double, maybe triple the Alpine rate! Or maybe charge according to max speed on the main straight.

BTW, the 6500 bucks was for a weekend and included radios, corner workers and everything needed to run hot laps but no racing. Just something to think about and possibly discuss.

Bill

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Safety Equipment
Would we need;
Helmets
Seat belts (2 point or 3)
Fire extinguishers
Roll cage
Fire suit
Radios?

General car Tech
Would we need;
Overflow bottles
Any fastners safety wired
Anything above and beyond the normal daily street driven vehicle?

Like I say, I'm all for it, I just think we should find out if there are any exclusions that would keep the majority, or any of us from participating.
Also, If we do see enough interest, I will gladly help in any research necessary.
As I've only ever participated in Drag Racing at a sanctioned track, and there were rules even to go down the track solo, this is all I can base my inquiries on.
This would be a BLAST!