• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sad news regarding a former member

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Long-time SAOCA members will remember John Wheeler (aka afssanders) and the incredible hot rod SII he built. I always felt like John added something valuable to our group and decided to try to reach out to him a few days ago. Sadly, I discovered that he had passed away two years ago at the age of 49. Here is a link to his obituary: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/twincities/obituary.aspx?n=john-william-wheeler&pid=189595433

What isn’t in his obituary, is John’s incredible Alpine adventure. John had a turbocharged 2.0L ZETEC engine he wanted to install in his SII. The engine was too wide to fit, so he made the car wider. He split it in half, then cut 6” (as I recall) out of the center of another SII and put them together.

John was a real craftsman who extensively documented his work on our site. Unfortunately, the site he used to host most of his photos is no longer active, so his posts are pretty uninspiring without the photos. (You can see all of John’s postings, minus most of the photos, here: http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?search/3168400/) Here are some photos I found online, which give you an idea of what he did and where ended up:

zetecalpinefrontcutii3.jpg

zetecalpinewidenedmm6.jpg

alpinezetecenginebayid4.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

sunfire small.jpg

I only knew John though his posts on our forum but feel like the classic car world is a poorer place without him and I would like to keep his memory alive, at least in our little corner of the internet. Besides the photos of his work, John also posted a series of instructional videos for us as he went. The videos were really a masterclass in bodywork and restoration but, like his photographs, are no longer available on the web. Fortunately, I had downloaded most of John’s videos as he went and still have 11 of them. With Greggers help, and as a tribute to John, six of them are once again available for SAOCA members to watch. We’re having some problems with the five remaining ones but will keep at it and post here if we find a way to make them available. I confess that I haven’t watched all of them again yet, but I intend to now. Please enjoy them and say a little ‘thanks’ to Jon for his contributions during his brief time with us.

Attachments

• 40f41ba871aea727ed1b734830ac49ff.jpg
    40f41ba871aea727ed1b734830ac49ff.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 36
  • image.png
    image.png
    486.8 KB · Views: 37

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
This is vary sad, I too wondered why he was not posting. He was a great craftsman and I will miss his builds.
RIP John

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I only knew John though his posts on our forum

That's exactly the way that I knew him. I remember his amazing build of that Alpine . I think of him and the car
often knowing full well I could never attain his level of craftsmanship and imagination.He was an immense talent
taken too soon and will be sorely missed for his knowledge and inspiration.

Godspeed John.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sorry to hear this. His work and videos were a treat. I copied one in which he made a patch to repair a small rusted area. Showed it to a couple of non car guys who were visiting. In each case, they were in the process of leaving for home, but decided they would watch a bit to get an idea of what he was doing. Both stayed for the entire video and commented on how rapidly the time went.

I often think of his Alpine and marvel at how he could work so long to create a total masterpiece, then drop it like a hot rock after he (stupidly) blew up the engine. It needs to be found and become part of the Alpine scene.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I remember that build as well. He sure was a craftsman... even down to custom tail lights. Sorry he's gone, but glad he's left a positive impact on so many.

Do you know what happened to the car?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Do you know what happened to the car?
I do not. I spent a bit of time googling him after I discovered the obit, mainly to make certain I had the right guy, and none of my searches turned up anything re: the car.

65beam

Donation Time
I seem to remember it being for sale maybe a year ago. I have in my favorites close to 60 sites or face book pages devoted to Rootes or other British cars so I don't remember which one it was. I do remember telling Jean it was for sale and she said " I Don't Think So".

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good to see that John put the car back on the road. As soon as he got the car built, he was driving it with 27 lbs boost on the stock Zetec engine. After a couple of weeks of that nonsense, the engine blew up. John decided he was tired of the project and announced he was not going to repair the engine and tried to sell, wanting $30,000. That was the last he or the car were on the site.

Bill

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow. Last seen here in Oct 2011! I can't believe it's been that long ago. And he was just 49 when he passed in 20118. That means he was just 39 when he started on that car, surely one of our younger members. It always feels strange losing an "Internet friend". From our online communications, often with great detail, we come to know some of these friends, in some aspects at least, better than we know our next door neighbors. And then they are gone, no notice, no fanfare, no farewell, sometimes passed away, sometimes moved on, and their family usually does not even know us or our regard for their loved one. Strange world up here in the cloud. I'm glad we were able to recognize a few of our members who passed, like Paul Scofield and Chuck Ingram. And thanks. Jim, for salvaging some of John's recordings

Tom

Limey

Donation Time
I have a strange desire to own that thing...Perverse but made well and with love; deviant and diseased but lovely. Anyone know where it is now? Would love to growl up to the next UK Alpine National in that piece of rolling heresy. Like all purists I secretly envy the iconoclasts their freedom of expression.