• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S3 OD Speedometer.

65beam

Donation Time
I hope Dan can help. I contacted Nisonger about rebuilding and restoring the speedometer for the LeMans and they suggested I buy a cheap Garmin due to cost of the rebuild or switching it to a GPS unit. I seem to remember $700 plus either way.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike O'D - what is your situation? Are you adding an OD gearbox to a car that was not originally OD? Or looking to replace an existing series 3 OD speedometer that is broken or in poor condition?

Mike H

alpine_64

Donation Time
The series 3 OD speedo was unique as it was geared for 3.89 and OD.

Another unique part for a series 3 OD car is the light switch it has a resistor on the top tgat wgen the OD is engaged with the panel lights on it dims the also unique faceted opal od warning light.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for all of the responses guys - good info. Dan - I can read SN532 on the left side and 1000 on the right. According to the parts book, the S3 non-OD speedo is SN5324/16. It's possible that the 4 is covered up by the needle, but I don't see a 16 anywhere on the face. The OD speedo is the same number except /18, according to the book. Picture of mine is attached.

Mike H. - I am running a 1725 with full syncro trans with OD and original 3.89 rear end. Car was originally non OD, and I am using the original speedo. It's reading high (as expected) - almost exactly 20%.

Alpine 64 - that brings up something I hadn't thought of - will the S3 OD speedo read correctly with the full syncro OD tranny?

65beam - It's not a huge problem doing the conversion to correct the speed that I'm traveling, but it would also be nice to have it reading correctly (or close enough to it). I refurbish all of my own instruments (all of the other parts too, now that I think of it) except the tach - thanks Tom H.

Attachments

• 20200508_062734.jpg
    20200508_062734.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 14

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
See http://wp.mhartman.net/home/cars/sunbeam/alpine/gauges

Series V OD with 4.22 rear is 1504 turns per mile. Series IV OD with 4.22 rear was around 1530 turns per mile. You could have a late series IV OD or series V OD all-synchro.

S3 OD with 3.89 was 1408 turns per mile. Mixing later OD with 3.89 rear should be somewhere around 1386 turns per mile. 1386 vs 1408 is only 1.6% difference. That is all assuming stock diameter tires.

3.89 vs 4.22 rear is 8% difference. I'd expect your 20% high reading to be even higher - maybe 28% ??

Using your existing speedo with a gear reducer is an option, too. I remember finding some options via Google.

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
Maybe
Thanks for all of the responses guys - good info.

65beam - It's not a huge problem doing the conversion to correct the speed that I'm traveling, but it would also be nice to have it reading correctly (or close enough to it). I refurbish all of my own instruments (all of the other parts too, now that I think of it) except the tach - thanks Tom H.

I understand that it's not a big problem. I retired several years ago but I still work for the company, have my own business and other things that keep me going for sometimes 16 to 18 hours a day. I don't have time for a lot of things I used to do when I was younger. There's something wrong with that. I do have one Sunbeam with a speedometer and fuel gauge but the others are idiot lights.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Sorry Mike - for some reason 20% was stuck in my head - it's actually more like 36%. 62 mph indicated is 40 on the GPS. I'll check into the gear reducer option as well. Thanks.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I could have someone else do it, I just really enjoy taking things apart, seeing how they work inside, and fixing them. It's a sickness!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Series V OD with 4.22 rear is 1504 turns per mile...That is all assuming stock diameter tires.
FWIW, I have a SV OD/1504 speedo on my car with a 3:89 rear and 14" tires. The combination actually works out pretty well and my speedo reads reasonably accurately.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
If one of you guys has a # from the face of the correct speedo, I'll check my pile of Alpine speedos. Never know what's in there!

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for all of the input guys, please let me know if anyone finds one in their piles of stuff.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are you sure about the 40 mph actual being a 62 mph speedo reading? The speedo would be reading 55% high. Are you sure you have a 3.89 rear?

Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mikes, ( Hartman and O'Donnell that is)

Hartman posted:
Series V OD with 4.22 rear is 1504 turns per mile. Series IV OD with 4.22 rear was around 1530 turns per mile. You could have a late series IV OD or series V OD all-synchro.

And S3 OD with 3.89 was 1408 turns per mile. Mixing later OD with 3.89 rear should be somewhere around 1386 turns per mile. 1386 vs 1408 is only 1.6% difference. That is all assuming stock diameter tires.

Is this all really true? That the S3, SIV, and SV OD's each have a different OD ratio? Or a different Speedo output Gear? or used different Tire diameters??

O'Donnell's car is an amalgam of body, engine, tranny, OD, wheels, and tires from different Alpines. I did not think that the OD's were different between Series. And I'm not sure Mike knows what series the OD is really from, if it really matters.

Tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
There a whole bunch of speedo input and cable gears that could easily throw a speedo... I know i intially screwed up the maths mixing and matching when i put a SV od box in my SII with 3.89 and 195/65/14s.... But there was enough asjustment after a switch out of the gears to get it quite close between the 40-60mph range

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Based on the rear axle ratio and speedo turns per mile, the OD ratios across series 3, 4, and 5 calculate to within 1.5% of each other. Hence, I'd assume the ODs had the same ratio.

Mike