• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S II convertable top

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Originally my '61 S II Alpine top came with 3 windows and no zipper (beads for side covers).
Now catalogs show only S I with 3 windows and zippers, and S II with 1 window no zipper only.
I like 3 windows and think the S I & S II tops are interchangeable but would like to be sure.
Any info is appreciated.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My early Series II top had a single window. That is a sample of one. I don't think the tops are interchangeable, the Series II tops had the cant rails, I don't think the Series I had them. In addition, wasn't improved weather tightness a Series II change?

Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The three window is for the early cars and fits way better...The single rear window is the later Alpines.
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Series I was 3 window, SII single window. Iirc the change was the 2 side windows tended to get damaged when folded.

What is the zipper you reffer too?

SI/II tops are interchangeable, the sII will have 2 addtional flaps each the inside of the top on the horizontal and vertical edges of the side window openings to snap to the detachable SII window cantrails

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, the zipper, I forgot about that. The zipper is for folding the sides over the middle for storage. It's needed for Ser I & II and those with the metal covers. I don't know about the ser 3 & IV
Jan