• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Routing heater hoses / bypass heater core

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey All
I need to do some work on my heating system and keep the car on the road while I get the core worked on and buy a new valve. My original on/off valve leaks and has been bypassed the entire time I have owned my car and today I noticed some very light steam coming from the vents by the wiper bases. All connections I can readily see look tight and dry. My assumption is that the heater core is now compromised and needs to be repaired/replaced.
Just checking to see if it matters, but I expect to temporarily reroute the heater hoses and want to understand all my optionsFFE48A24-4636-41D6-AD4C-B68AD93D8BDD.jpeg
The engine bay picture shows the current set up and the blue and red drawing lines are rerouting ways I am considering. Red lines way: pulls hose from heater core and is reconnected at water pump. Blue lines way: pulls hose from core and reconnects to motor/head. Not very good at finger drawing so if there are questions please ask and if there are other suggestions out there, please send them along. My goal is to keep my car on the road while doing the repair.
Be well
Andrew

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Yours is routed in a similar fashion to my SIV, which I just finished fixing and am using a very different valve that I had to finagle a holder for the cable. Not a big deal.

Yours should be setup like this:

- Hose from water pump -> left heater core plug (if standing in front of your car)

- Heater core right plug -> top of valve

- Side of valve hose -> head plug behind the Stromberg.

You can remove the heater core and connect the hose from the head plug behind the Stormberg to the hose that’s coming from the side of the water pump. I did this and connected them inside the plenum ( the place where the Heater Core “lives” under the hood latch plate) so it was neat and out of the engine bay.

Honestly, your two options are to get a new valve, core, etc and fix it or bypass it until you can. If someone out there has a third option, I’d love to hear it.

I drove my car like this for months without a problem before redoing it and installing a new Heater Core with help last week. All is well now.

My car is a daily driver and I would not be caught dead driving it in the weather we’re getting here right now without a heater. It’s COLD lol.

Hope something here helps.

Last edited:

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hoses All swapped over— Thanks Scotty. I also found some great pictures in the gallery of what things are supposed to look like when I repair/ replace. Went for a drive this morning too— first time in a long time, I did not have an anti- freeze smell. There must be a small crack in the core that breathes only when pressurized. Had dry footwells too.
Be well all

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Acollin
A while ago I had the same problem with my SV.
I finally found a new one heater valve on ebay, a remake looking pretty original.
To avoid wearing the new valve, I have bypassed the original heater valve with one from a VW Golf 1, for daily usage.
It is installed very quickly by swapping the hoses to it. The Golf 1 valve I did not fix anywhere, it is "hanging loose" on top of the original one.
(heatervalve VW Golf 1)
I believe there are many similar valves available out there.
Getting a warm feet, means getting out of the car, open the bonnet and change the silver lever manually to "hot". visa versa.
For the MOT I then switch to the original one (temporarily).This solution works fine for me.
Just another idea...
1674929367193.jpeg

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Alpine Innovations in the UK sell a superb heater valve for the Series V. It is a much better design and is not likely to fail. If it ever does fail a simple 'O' ring would restore it to full working order again. A highly recommended improvement over the original Series V valve. We did a feature on it on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel a while ago.

Tim R

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Tim.
Nice video clip. The valve looks like a great solution. I need to get one !
(to avoid a mix up of Sunbeam / Golf..)

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
This LHD Series V Alpine has baked me for years....heat came through the firewall, tunnel and floorboards. The exhaust pipe would burn my throttle foot through the floor, carpet, and my boot! I have two small heat sources left; the gearshift boot leaks hot air and the heater coolant valve does not shut off. I have ordered a brass re-designed valve from Jerome at Alpine Innovations. That valve looks like a home run to me......