• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rotisserie Design Using SolidWorks

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I thought it would be fun to put SolidWorks to the task of making a full 3D model of the Sunbeam Rotisserie as posted on TEAE web site. I should be able to show a little more detail and a full set of drawing of each part (to include parts to be bent or cut). If anyone is interested in the details after I am finished please chime in and I will make sure to contact you when I am finished.

Here is what I have put together so far, it is not finished so don't start critiquing things!! LOL

upload_2019-3-19_14-28-57.png
All the best,
Andrew

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Andrew, Here are some plans I utilized for my Rotisserie,

Attachments

• Auto Rotisserie_plans Autobody 101.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 41

Andrew

Donation Time
So this is what I have finished so far. I hope to have more information from another club member shortly. I will also look at the information that Dan provided. Dan, your design looks a great deal stronger! Chat with everyone again shortly.

upload_2019-3-20_13-2-7.png

Andrew

Donation Time
That looks like you hook to the frame rails which is an accident waiting to happen.
I am using the design that was on the TEAE web site. I will make some changes to match what Dan passed on to me. Any insight or thoughts for change would be great. I believe the idea was to attach to the bumper bolts.
The original design information is enclosed. It is hard to see the details, I thought by doing this it would help others. I would like to update it and make it stronger. Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Auto Rotisserie_plans TEAE.pdf
    167.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
The front frame rails have a captive nut welded to the inside of a thin sheet of steel. Over the years this area gets weak. A member of this forum had his Tiger in the parking lot at SUNI in 2014 and had the bumper and bracket break loose while parked. I had the same thing happen to a series 5 years ago. This area rusts from the inside and it's not something you find by just looking. I've seen several with rust bubbles on the frame rails. Did you ever think why there is a separate tube for the jack? In the 60's a bumper jack was common but Rootes welded that tube in for a reason. It could be because the weight of the bumper is about all the weight that captive nut can hold. The mounting point should be the cross member mounting holes of the frame rails. The same applies to the rear frame rails.

Andrew

Donation Time
The front frame rails have a captive nut welded to the inside of a thin sheet of steel. Over the years this area gets weak. A member of this forum had his Tiger in the parking lot at SUNI in 2014 and had the bumper and bracket break loose while parked. I had the same thing happen to a series 5 years ago. This area rusts from the inside and it's not something you find by just looking. I've seen several with rust bubbles on the frame rails. Did you ever think why there is a separate tube for the jack? In the 60's a bumper jack was common but Rootes welded that tube in for a reason. It could be because the weight of the bumper is about all the weight that captive nut can hold. The mounting point should be the cross member mounting holes of the frame rails. The same applies to the rear frame rails.

Thanks a bunch, I will make the changes to the design as required and make the cross member the mounting point.
All the best!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Change to the cross member will have a great negative effect on the center of gravity when trying to rotate the vehicle whether an Alpine or some other type.

Andrew

Donation Time
So what I am getting from this is it is the wrong design. I will continue the search.

Thanks a bunch guys.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What if you want to rotate an Alpine and not have the cross member mounted ? I do mine frequently with and without the cross member.

I can actually have an engine, tranny and rear assy on my rotisserie ....

Only wish I had included a hydraulic capability of lowering and raising.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Auto - Rotisserie     1109.JPG Auto - Rotisserie     1108.JPG Might I add, I utilize the bumper and the jack provisions in all cases with the rotisserie.

Suggest you "fix" your bumper and jack problems before attempting to place your Aline on the rotisserie.

I have posted these PIC's before, But, for your viewing pleasure, here they are again.. I used 1" square stock for the piece that fits into the jack hole.

More PIC's are available upon request.

Attachments

• Auto - Rotisserie     1099.JPG
    Auto - Rotisserie 1099.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 42

65beam

Donation Time
Change to the cross member will have a great negative effect on the center of gravity when trying to rotate the vehicle whether an Alpine or some other type.
Use the bolt holes for the crossmember with the crossmember not on the car.

Andrew

Donation Time
View attachment 15687 View attachment 15688 Might I add, I utilize the bumper and the jack provisions in all cases with the rotisserie.

Suggest you "fix" your bumper and jack problems before attempting to place your Aline on the rotisserie.

I have posted these PIC's before, But, for your viewing pleasure, here they are again.. I used 1" square stock for the piece that fits into the jack hole.

More PIC's are available upon request.

Hi Dan, I like this idea. I would love to see more photos if you can email them or post them on this thread. Email is: drafting “at” ramdesign “dot” on “dot” ca
Thanks a bunch Dan

Andrew

Donation Time
Andrew,

I'm a SolidWorks user as well - great program.

Mike
Hi Mike, yes I love SolidWorks as well. What field are you in or how do you use the program (surface modeling, sheet metal, assembly modeling etc.)?