• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rootes extinguisher

Limey

Donation Time
Just got this. Not seen one with a paper label before. Pre 1959?
IMG_3197.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3198.JPG
    IMG_3198.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 5

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oliver i have seen a few of those paper labelled ones with that label. There were at least 3 version of the extinguishers in the audux range cars.

The Bradex ones came in a small and large and post 60 generally have the foil label. They had 2 rubberised clips to hold them.

Limey

Donation Time
Oliver also did you get my email re manifolds?
I did and many thanks for sending. Sorry for not replying sooner but business is very busy and I'm missing the down time i was expecting. I'll check it out. I have questions ;-)

Limey

Donation Time
Oliver i have seen a few of those paper labelled ones with that label. There were at least 3 version of the extinguishers in the audux range cars.

The Bradex ones came in a small and large and post 60 generally have the foil label. They had 2 rubberised clips to hold them.

I have many of the medium size but have only managed to find 1 large one which came with it own cage.
IMG_1847 copy.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oliver i have a medium one with clips... Mine is still full.. I was warned about the toxicity of the contents by a few old race guys.. Who also said it's a great thing to have at the track .. If the clutch is slipping they said fire the Bromochloromethane into the clutch housing and its like relining it for a few races. :-O

Limey

Donation Time
Oh, and Oliver... Props on the rubber matts old boy!!!

I'm so proud of the mats. They were torn badly (see pics attached). You have to repair from the back so it took a loooong time to scrub off 50 years of oxidized rubber so the glue could stick. My fingernails were black for weeks. They look perfect now and I love getting the period look correct.

I have a set of late series I will restore when the nights draw in.IMG_0029.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 21

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Can you please provide details for the process you followed? And that should be a new thread...

Thanks,
Mike

65beam

Donation Time
And to think I threw away 3 complete sets last week. I'm wondering how he restored the splits in the rubber.

Limey

Donation Time
It is painstaking
1) Completely scrub back to non oxidised rubber and I mean really scrub. Into every groove or the glue will not hold
2)Face down - gaffer tape all the spilts back to perfect alignment. flip to check each section
3) Face up do the same
4) Face down - remove gaffer tape, use top strength black aircraft grade contact adhesive and 1.5mm rubber sheet. As you lay the rubber patch on work 2mm rubber into contours and curves with a fine burnishing tool. Yue will be covering compound curves so have to cut and slit the rubber and offer up many times
5) face up - remove gaffer tape open cracks by flexing the now reinforced areas and using a thin blade, lay in black glue, close the split; wipe away excess

This last step can only be done one very small area at a time as you have to wait 24hrs before you move to the next small area

Took me two whole weeks just to do steps 1 - 4

I can't find the work shots but they do look very nice, even if I say so myself. One of the more satisfying resto jobs and yes these are the same mats
IMG_1085 copy.jpg