• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Roller Clutch Release Bearing?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Has anyone on here fitted a roller clutch release bearing? There have been problems in the UK with poor quality carbon clutch bearings. These can fail early and in some cases break up completely.

I have bought a roller release bearing and was planning on fitting it but I have now seen a video on YouTube where it states that a roller bearing is not suitable as the bearing does not run centrally to the gearbox shaft. The carbon bearing is apparently able to compensate for this as it runs 'out of line' and skitters across the thrust face but the roller bearing can't. The MG clutch and the Alpine one are a similar design.

The bearing supplier claims to have supplied over 200 without problems and I know two owners who have them fitted (Series 3 Alpine and a Super Minx) without problems.

Anyone on here have experience?

Tim R

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Tim,
I've run one for some years, no problems with side load on the bearings from moving across the face of the pressure plate. I still don't start the car with clutch pedal depressed or sit at the lights with my foot on the clutch.
The guy selling them here does them for MG racers who give them a lot more punishment than we would on the road.

When I fitted mine there were howls of protest, but one or two wise old heads on team.net said it worked for them.

I'm guessing you know that you need to check the pedestal height and the fork as there are different types and the roller bearing may be a different height to the carbon one.
Cheers,
Paul.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I wonder if Sunbeam Specialties gets their throwout bearings from a different source than the suspect ones in the UK?

The stock bearing is capable of lasting a long time. A friend with a Series I Husky recently heard the tell-tale squeal of a bad bearing. The first time its been replaced. He's had the Husky since 1972. Averaged, conservatively, 4,000 miles/yr. AND he consistently rode the clutch at stoplights!

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I have had a roller bearing TOB from Sunbeam Specialties for over 20 years. There was a point that I was thinking it was to blame for not getting full release. However, I solved that later with finding I need to mount my plunger to the inner hole.* So no complaint here. But, yes, I've definitely seen all the issues raised here about the roller bearing over all these years.

* The brake and clutch pedals are adjustable. There are two holes in pedal arm where the master cylinder plunger mounts. When mine was mounted to the outer hole - for the longest leg option, the pedal would bottom against the floorboard before the plunger would get full travel. When I mounted it to the inner hole, I got more travel, and all is good with the clutch and transmission.