1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Roll/sway bars

Discussion in '"Stock" Alpine' started by Limey, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Limey

Limey Gold Level Sponsor

Roll bars - My S2 has a half inch roll bar (which is rubbish). When did they change to 5/8''?.

I have 5/8th and a 7/8ths bars in my spares but the angle of them differs from the 1/2 inch one. So must be for the later type front suspension? My local forge is reshaping them to match the S2's 1/2 inch 'coat hanger' Just wanted to discover what thicknesses were available for the earlier cars and when they changed thickness and shape.

Thanks,

Oliver

2. Toyanvil

Toyanvil Gold Level Sponsor

I have a late model 7/8" sway bar on my series 2, I am not sure why the ones you have don't fit. My stock one was 5/8"

3. Limey

Limey Gold Level Sponsor

Strange...So, My S2 had the 1/2 inch sway bar and I thought nothing of it but wanted to up grade it. So I went to one of my donor S2 cars and removed the 5/8 but noticed it had a slightly different shape in that the two inboard retaining clamps couldn't be 'closed'. I then compared this doner 5/8 with a new Tiger 7/8 I have and it was the same shape as the tiger unit. I therefore assumed this was a later model shape. The 1/2 inch one fits perfectly to both my car and the donor. Have I got a front axle from another Rootes car? Can't imagine I have as I rebuilt it with S2 parts and it looks exactly as parts book illustrations and the donor.

Now I really am confused...

4. Limey

Limey Gold Level Sponsor

How does it ride with the 7/8 bar?

5. Mike O'D

Mike O'D Gold Level Sponsor

A late series bar will not fit an early car. Before I realized this, I attempted to fit one on my S3 - no dice. There is a previous post somewhere where I posted pictures of the two different bars laying next to one another.

6. Limey

Limey Gold Level Sponsor

Thanks Mike - As I thought. Just wanted to be sure

7. Toyanvil

This is the only picture I have of mine off the car, just back from powder coat. The funny thing is it came off a Tiger.
    [​IMG]

8. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

I think the issue will be between the kingoin front end vs the later ball joint type. The arms are different.

9. Toyanvil

I am running a Tiger sway bar on my series 2 king pin front end and it bolted right on.

10. bulldurham

bulldurham Donation Time

I also have a 7/8th on my Series II, installed many years ago. No trouble installing as I remember.

11. Hodee

Hodee Gold Level Sponsor

For what its worth, I put a 7/8 Tiger bar on my Ser V and it improved handling and feel dramatically for the good. I have no reference for any other series.

12. Limey

Limey Gold Level Sponsor

Very Strange. All three sway bars wont fit either of my S2s.....

13. Mike O'D

What type of front end did SIV have - like SV or like the early Series? The angle of the A arm on S3 is different then SV. The SV bar I tried to put on my S3 was a definite mis-match.

14. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

SIV and V were the ball joint front ends. The I-3 are the kingpin.. As i said earlier in the thread different arms.

15. Mike O'D

Still trying to figure out how Toyanvil was able to fit a Tiger bar on a SII.

16. RootesRooter

RootesRooter Platinum Level Sponsor

Maybe the SII PO installed a later suspension?

17. 260Alpine

260Alpine Silver Level Sponsor

Addco lists different stock# for 7/8" Apine and Tiger front bar.

Sunbeam - Addco

18. Mike O'D

The pictures definitely show an early front end set up. The mystery continues.