• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rocker Shaft Disassembly

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I'm taking apart a spare rocker shaft assembly as I need one of the stands and they don't seem to "spring off" and a slight tap on the shaft end after shooting it with penetrating oil did nothing. ... any thoughts? .... these aren't rusted parts but looked a little dry ... don't want to booger the stands up.

.... Thanks again for the help! ... David

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
David, I'm not quite clear. Are you trying to get the stands off the head studs, or off of the rocker shaft?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
David, Not sure if you will wind up needing any work done on the rockers or stands, But I had Delta Cams do work for me when needed... They are excellent.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm taking apart a spare rocker shaft assembly as I need one of the stands and they don't seem to "spring off" and a slight tap on the shaft end after shooting it with penetrating oil did nothing. ... any thoughts? .... these aren't rusted parts but looked a little dry ... don't want to booger the stands up.

.... Thanks again for the help! ... David

If you've taken off the end clip and taken off a rocker arm spring etc. the stand will slide off but you need to work at it.

One of the problems being the cutout in the rocker shaft where the locating bolt passes through the stand, this area sometimes has a slight burr in the stand or a ridge of carbon/oil residue around it. So its really a matter of twisting and soft tapping with a mallet to push the shaft through the stand.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you've taken off the end clip and taken off a rocker arm spring etc. the stand will slide off but you need to work at it.

One of the problems being the cutout in the rocker shaft where the locating bolt passes through the stand, this area sometimes has a slight burr in the stand or a ridge of carbon/oil residue around it. So its really a matter of twisting and soft tapping with a mallet to push the shaft through the stand.
If you have a heat gun try that aluminum heats up faster and expands more do not use a torch

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks Guys! .... Honey-do-list done so I'll be on it in a bit. ... Puff, off the shafts ... Dan, no work needed just replacing a bad stand ... Dreambeam, thought that might be the issue just being cautious with removal as most seem to "spring off" once the end clips are removed ... Gordon, been needing a heat gun for a while now .... had to repair a SII alum. hardtop that a PO had accidentally drilled through it drilling out bad clamp screws ... aluminum needs a gentle and experienced hand when using a torch ... in my early days I had my share of melting parts with the wrong use of a torch. :oops:

........... Thanks again all!, David

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
OK .... Had to gentle drive the shaft out after making a fixture to hold it. .... Is there a specific orientation to what side those slots in the rocker stand should face ... Drivers side or pass side (US models) ... don't recall when I took them off and no ref. in the man. I could find .... does it matter? .. having a little issue getting them on to the other shaft ... might there be a difference between years and alloy heads where the stands are concerned?

.... Thanks,, David

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
OK .... Had to gentle drive the shaft out after making a fixture to hold it. .... Is there a specific orientation to what side those slots in the rocker stand should face ... Drivers side or pass side (US models) ... don't recall when I took them off and no ref. in the man. I could find .... does it matter? .. having a little issue getting them on to the other shaft ... might there be a difference between years and alloy heads where the stands are concerned?

.... Thanks,, David

My memory is they will only go on one way, because the stand bolt cutout is offset.

hierogk

Donation Time
FWIW I just did this also. The oil holes in the shafts were pointing downwards on both. Oriented that way the slots can only go one way. Anyone know what the slots are for? There are two on each shaft and they are different sizes.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
The slots are mounted to the drivers side, North America. The stud for the rocker stand goes through the slot on the rocker shaft and the stand, these must line up at reassembly. There is a front and rear shaft, 4 holes in the shaft point down and slots to the drivers side. Sometimes there can be a slight burr on the outside edge of the groove that the end clips fit in that prevents the rockers and stands from easily sliding off the shaft. Light filling should remove that. When reassembling two O-rings on both sides the the brass oil diverter located between the two shafts cuts down on any oil leaking at those two joints. Made a huge difference in my case.