• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Reverse light wiring

napa 1

Donation Time
Hi again. One other item I need to complete is wiring up the reverse lights. I have a series v overdrive tranny. Can't seem to find a clear description in the wiring diagrams/manuals etc.
Thanks

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I can give a partial answer, to be refined by later research this evening.
The trunk wiring loom, back by the fuel cross tube on the left side contains a wire with a bullet connector, whose marker color is purple I think. (all subject to verification later...) The other end of that wire is, ummm... maybe right by the fuse block... It's been awhile. I think I had to run a (fabricated) harness to and from the fuse block area to the reverse switch on the shifter tunnel assembly (opposite the OD switch). None of my wiring harness was OEM, except the long wire to the trunk area.

Unless someone more informed pipes up, I'll go out this evening and review things...

A basic circuit description is: fused (hopefully) +12V source to Reverse Lamp switch on trans, then back to firewall area, then in wire harness to rear trunk location (by fuel cross-over tube) then on to lamps, with "local" ground. Switch adjustment is via shims. Switch access is possible thru access hole in trans tunnel.

Good luck.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think Ken has it mostly right. Verify that you have two switches on the tranny - one on each side of the shift lever housing. One is for the OD and one is for the back up lights.

Note that the factory wiring dwg for Series V does not show the reverse lamp wiring. But the Series IV drawing does:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/downloads/wiring_diagrams/s4_diagram.pdf

It shows the reverse lamp wire from the tranny to lamps is Green/ Brown. And I am guessing that this was the same on Series V.

Tom

napa 1

Donation Time
aha! That is where my confusion lies. i only have the one switch on the tranny, which is connected to the od loom.i have a new reverse switch in my possession, but the trans has been installed already back in to the car. I have the lights grounded at their location, and have already run a hot wire up to the trans hmm.
thanks guys.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
If you don't mind digging thru carpet, I think you can get to the switch from up top. There's another panel that's forward of the gear shift panel.

Original backup lights? Modern retrofits? If modern, watch that the current draw is appropriate for the wire/switch/fuse selection. Chances are you've already got that covered, though... :)

napa 1

Donation Time
I know the panel you mean, I've never had it off, but my carpet is just loosely laid at this point so I'll check it out. Thanks. Looks from a spare trans that I have lying around, that there is just a bolt plug sealing the place where the reverse switch would go. Remove the plug, install the switch, Wire it up...

Thanks form the help.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm guessing that the switch that is already on the tranny is the one for the OD, assuming that the OD was assembled by someone who knew what he was doing! Depending on what series tranny you have (all synchro or non-synchro first gear) the location for the OD and reverse light switch is reversed. I am 99% sure that for an all-synchro tranny, like mine, the OD switch is on the passenger side (US drive) .

I have been able to remove and replace the switch from underneath. Not a lot of room, and the switch (and plug) may be in tight. But I was able to get a compact Crescent wrench around the body of the switch and get it loose. Once loose it spun out pretty easily and should allow you to insert and remove a couple times while you add/ subtract shim washers for adjustment.

Tom

napa 1

Donation Time
Did it ! Thanks for the help. Not a lot of room to maneuver from the top, thats for sure, but it can be done! On this trans, which was already running overdrive, with no reverse lights, the od switch is on the driver side, and the plug which I removed for the reverse switch is on the passenger side.
One more thing off my list. THANKS! :D