• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replicating Le Mans Side trims

alpineclive

Diamond Level Sponsor
All

Despite now having original spears and door trims I am still in need of rear wing/fender trim and finishing plates i.e. the flashes at the end of the trim down by the rear valance. Unless I can find any originals I am going to have to replicate in someway.
I am told I could use Volvo 121 chrome trim and bend it to make the gently curving rear wing/fender chrome strip (has anyone tried this and does it work well? I am concerned that the sides will buckle)
Regarding the finishing plate the closest I can get to is the "hockey stick" on the front of a Morris Minor but I think not ideal. Has anyone replicated these pieces or know of a source of originals ?

Best regards
Clive

310 HLO Harrington Alpine Series 'D' (Series IV chassis)
692 DLO Harrington Le Mans
33 EXF Series II Sunbeam Alpine

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
We are currently checking to get the rear HLM trim finishers & the speares reproduced. HAve sent my spare repro part to a colleague in UK accordingly. We'll keep you posted for any progress we make. No idea about the Volvo trims though...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just to revive this topic: Did anybody ever try Volvo 121 side trims ? Somebody proposed me Triumph TR5 door trims but their shape is different than HLM originals...

Bobbytriumph

Donation Time
I have also been looking for the rear pieces for three years. They just do not seem to be turning up. I don’t know how the TR five or Volvo pieces would be able to be bent for the drop down on the rear quarter panels. I am going to be replicating one spear and it’s likely my car will just have the door trim and the two sides spears but nothing on the quarter panels unless a miracle happens. If I have any success in finding these parts and I have surplus to my requirements I am not going to be a hoarder of spares. I will list them on this website first. I know we all want to have faithful restorations and those last trim pieces I think are very critical. I was lucky to find my Le Mans badge is here back in February and I’m hopeful that someone will dig out something for the rest of us.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bending them is one thing, but the basic shape must match. I strongly believe that Harrington's used something available, rather than investing too much into tooling. Just need to find the correct profile, then we can proceed on bringing them into proper shape...

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great , thanks. A club mate has a Rapier so will check. However- they are not that plentiful either...

Last edited:

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I bought a complete set of Rapier 2dr moldings on eBay 3 years ago. I haven't looked at them for awhile. I will measure all the longer ones tomorrow and get back to you about which lengths will work.