• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replacement Water Pump Question

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Greetings again...

I am replacing the water pump on my Series V.

I received a new wp from Classic Sunbeam today.

As pictured below, the old pump had a brass fitting that had connected to it a hose from the heater core. The new pump has the hole where that fitting would be plugged.

My question is this: Am I to assume that I am to remove the plug on the new pump and replace it with the fitting from the old pump OR is there some sort of retrofit to the hose routing that I do not know about?

I searched the forum but couldn’t find anything that confirms either option.

Thanks as always for your help.
32C06563-E7C4-4F6E-A86C-B7B73A02E956.jpeg8BA1C895-FD8B-4CA2-9E97-18D02DB612A4.jpeg

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tod,
Correct assumption! The brass parts don't come with the new pumps.
Glad you got it from Curt as he has the right pump with the steel impeller.

Cheers!
Steve

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Greetings again...

I am replacing the water pump on my Series V.

I received a new wp from Classic Sunbeam today.

As pictured below, the old pump had a brass fitting that had connected to it a hose from the heater core. The new pump has the hole where that fitting would be plugged.

My question is this: Am I to assume that I am to remove the plug on the new pump and replace it with the fitting from the old pump OR is there some sort of retrofit to the hose routing that I do not know about?

I searched the forum but couldn’t find anything that confirms either option.

Thanks as always for your help.
View attachment 22236View attachment 22237

I knew you would know but figured you were elbow deep under a hood right now. Lol

That plug is in there pretty tight and apparently also has some type of sealant, so I wanted to be sure before I started wrenching on it.

The fitting came out of the old pump relatively easy and did not appear to have any type of sealant on it.
Would you suggest sealant or maybe pipe tape when I install it into the new pump or just screw it in tightly and go with it?

Thanks!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I used teflon pipe tape on mine when I recently re-did the gaskets. No leaks so far.

What is the reason for suggesting the steel impeller is better? I have an aluminum replacement water pump from Sunbeam Specialties which has a plastic impeller. I figure the aluminum and plastic is a better setup than original ...

Thanks,
Mike

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I used teflon pipe tape on mine when I recently re-did the gaskets. No leaks so far.

What is the reason for suggesting the steel impeller is better? I have an aluminum replacement from Sunbeam Specialties which has a plastic impeller. I figure the aluminum and plastic is a better setup than original ...

Thanks,
Mike
I went ahead and went with the Teflon tape as well. I couldn’t imagine doing it without it but I always like to run things by people who have gone before me on Sunbeam repairs/replacements.

Steve was actually the one discussing the impeller. I have no experience with that.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Actually Mike the plastic impeller aluminum bases pump works , for a while , then starts to lose
it's efficiency. The cast impeller, cast bodied ones work better. I've replace a lot of the aluminum bodied
pumps as their owners were having issues where the car was running hotter than usual. When I get a car
in that has a cooling issue, I usually drain and pull the radiator , take it to my radiator guy that will inspect it
flush it and pressure test it. If all checks out then if the car has an aluminum bodied pump, I replace with the better
pump. Of course the whole system is drained and flushed as well. Haven't had a come back yet.

This is all based on my experience with these pumps. YMMV.

Cheers!
Steve

RootesRooter

Donation Time
There used to be (two decades ago?) speculation that the plastic impeller expanded at a different rate on the steel shaft and slipped at high rpm's. Don't know if anyone actually proved it though....

ColinLM

Platinum Level Sponsor
I knew you would know but figured you were elbow deep under a hood right now. Lol

That plug is in there pretty tight and apparently also has some type of sealant, so I wanted to be sure before I started wrenching on it.

The fitting came out of the old pump relatively easy and did not appear to have any type of sealant on it.
Would you suggest sealant or maybe pipe tape when I install it into the new pump or just screw it in tightly and go with it?

Thanks!
I replaced the w p on my Series V last month.
I had the same concerns about the plug on the new pump and using the brass fighting from the old one.
A few minutes with a heat gun loosened the plug; and and Teflon tape on the brass fitting sealed it perfectly to the new pump.
I have had no problems.