• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replacement Gas tank for SSII

daniel luna

Donation Time
Hi Dear Members
I do not recall but some where in the old threads I think that
it gave a Model of American car that replaced the SSII gas
tank and it had more capacity from 10 Gallons to ? or IF not
any one has modified their tank to hold more gas
Thank you in advance Sin Dan N Luna:confused:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hi Dear Members
I do not recall but some where in the old threads I think that
it gave a Model of American car that replaced the SSII gas
tank and it had more capacity from 10 Gallons to ? or IF not
any one has modified their tank to hold more gas
Thank you in advance Sin Dan N Luna:confused:

I doubt you will find a drop in from another vehicle.

The tank in the SII has a mounting ridge around the tank that has the mounting
holes that enter into the rear sheetmetal.
The tank shape and locations of the holes are pretty important.

If you cant find a tank, you can always install a fuel cell (race cell) which
can have more capacity, and allows other nice items such as fuel return
lines and a swirl tank for fuel injection.

I have a "fuel safe" in mine.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I doubt you will find a drop in from another vehicle.

The tank in the SII has a mounting ridge around the tank that has the mounting
holes that enter into the rear sheetmetal.
The tank shape and locations of the holes are pretty important.

If you cant find a tank, you can always install a fuel cell (race cell) which
can have more capacity, and allows other nice items such as fuel return
lines and a swirl tank for fuel injection.

I have a "fuel safe" in mine.

not to mention being a safer tank.. i have a ATL fuel cell in the Tiger and a stainless steel custom tank in the alpine.. the original went to pin hole heaven.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Daniel
I replaced my fuel tank on my 62 with a fuel tank froma 79/80 Alpine.It originally sat upright behind the rear panel dividing the trunk from the rear seat.I had to make and weld brackets that allowed the tank to sit flat and then bolted it in.I think the capacity is arouund 15 or 16 galllons but I forget the exact capacity but the range is OH so much greater than the original 9 gallon tank for the 62.Thats Canadian gallons
I used a Stewart Warner universal fuel sender which was compatible with the Jaeger/ Smith fuel gauge.Just had to bend the rod.I was lucky enough to have done it all most perfect on the first try so I never had to empty the tank again.Mind you that was back in early 1980 or so and I have never had problems.As the tank is bigger it hangs lower than the original so I made a pan to completly protect the tank
I may have a picture of the pan but not how the tank fits.

socorob

Donation Time
im not sure if there are any aluminum boat builders in your area, but you could probably get an aluminum one made to go into place for not too bad. Im sure there are a lot of welders out there needing some extra work. i know the offshore and boat building industry down here has slowed down. If you do get one made, get a sending unit that goes in from the top, and maybe an electric fuel pump in tank from the top too while youre at it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
If you do get one made, get a sending unit that goes in from the top, and maybe an electric fuel pump in tank from the top too while youre at it.

point 1 is a good idea.. i had mine on the top of the tank (just watch it doesnt go where the spare will touch it. As for the the pump, i think they are better when external

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
I think you may have it backwards. I dropped a Ser2 tank into a Husky with a slight mod to the filler neck. So the capacity went from 8.5 gal to 11 of the ser2.
Bruce

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Robbie,

I don´t think you can find an in tank fuel pump that works for a carburetor. All the ones I´m aware of, are on fuel injected applications, so would produce too much pressure for a carburetor. Even if you could find one, the external type are better, IMO.

Jose

im not sure if there are any aluminum boat builders in your area, but you could probably get an aluminum one made to go into place for not too bad. Im sure there are a lot of welders out there needing some extra work. i know the offshore and boat building industry down here has slowed down. If you do get one made, get a sending unit that goes in from the top, and maybe an electric fuel pump in tank from the top too while youre at it.