• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Removing SII dust cover

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Its been a long time since I've torn down an early front suspension. Everything has come apart as expected but I can't figger out how to separate either brake dust cover from the spindles. I've removed the small nut from the threaded stud but don't see any possible hardware that could be holding it on, though it could be 60 years of crud! A little guidance, plz?

Thx, Mark

DSCN0897.JPG

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I Duct taped the king pin and spindles and sandblasted mine and then powder coated them. I also turned down the distance piece to 1.75 so I can use common seals found at any auto parts store. P.S. I powder coat everything.
RIMG0633-XL.jpg

RIMG0635-XL.jpg

RIMG0641-XL.jpg

RIMG0642-XL.jpg

RIMG0624-XL.jpg

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
volvoguys,

Late series I and all Series II have the splash guard trapped by the pressed on "hardened distance piece" ( the part the inner seal rides on I think ). The WSM recommends breaking the DP off to remove the SG. I'm not sure about availability of a new replacement.

parts of pages 6 & 7

http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/13-Brakes-K.pdf

Hope this helps
Yes, this is helpful and explains the problem. Thanks.

The distance piece doesn't need removed on the later-production cars to free the dust cover from the spindle. This explains why the set of early spindles I have on the shelf still have dust covers on them. A few years ago a fellow member needed a pair of late DPs and I agreed to supply them. I recall they were a b!tch to get off and took a lot of time and resolved I wouldn't ever do it again unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks again, Don.

Mark