• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Removing Rear Brake Drums

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
My SV brake drums appear to be stuck in place. I removed the large Phillips screw/bolt, spearhead on some PB Blaster to the posts and hub. The drum turns freely.

Is the drum supposed slide over the wheel studs when it comes off? I don't see anything else obvious holding it on.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sometimes they get really stuck, even on relatively new cars. I witnessed a guy wailing away on one with a 3 lb hand sledge. He soon got pissed and tried to break it. He is a big, strong guy and the car was on a lift with the drum at a convenient height. But the drum came off intact.

Yes, drums are made of good stuff.

Bill

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi Mike, from the look of those front rotors, I'd suggest getting new ones unless there is enough meat there to have turned.

Rich

PETER CLAYTON

Donation Time
Mike , when you reassemble,ease the drum centre hole a little with a half round file to aid removal next time (don't go mad, just a tad is enough) and when fitting it use a smear of anti-sieze copper grease to stop rust from locking the drum on.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mike , when you reassemble,ease the drum centre hole a little with a half round file to aid removal next time (don't go mad, just a tad is enough) and when fitting it use a smear of anti-sieze copper grease to stop rust from locking the drum on.

Thanks Peter, I'll remember to do that.

Just got done cleaning up the rear brakes/drums and front calipers. A small wire brush, vacuum, then a scrub with Simple Green and water rinse. Finish up with brake cleaner and wipe down then I'll be ready for the new parts and re-assembly.