• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

remounting horn ring on SV

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, I know; another horn ring question. I am remounting my steering wheel and horn ring after having it removed for a number of months, including a beautiful new hub purchased from Eric G. late last year. I never disassembled the horn ring itself, so all of the little pieces illustrated in "SAOC - The Alpine Guide" in this old forum post are just as they were before I removed the ring and steering wheel last Nov. (https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/horn-ring-assembly-question.29035/#post-207584). The horns worked at that time.

I cannot seem to properly mount the horn ring. It feels insecure and is most often touching the steering wheel spokes on the right side, leaving a 1/4" space b/t the ring and the spokes on the left side. I have seen the old forum posts about the little rubber pieces that used used to fit between the horn ring and the steering wheel spokes (
https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/horn-assembly.27323/#post-189064), but I've never had those before, and others in that forum discussion seem not to consider them critical.

There only the three set-screws (bolts, actually) to hold all of this stuff together (e.g., the two parts of the hub, plus the horn ring), right? This shouldn't be so difficult. If I tighten those three set-screws to fully engage their lock washers, I am cramming the horn ring against the steering wheel spokes. If I leave those set-screws a little loose, first of all that doesn't seem to make sense, and the horn ring "wobbles." Have I misplaced some little pieces? A spacer of some kind? The copper grounding spring is only intended to ground the horn ring, right? It really does not provide much resistance.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
You should not be tightening the 3 screws all the way down. There should be springs between the two metal pieces. To sound the horn, you overcome the spring pressure and allow the two metal pieces to touch which completes the circuit. The screws allow you to adjust the amount the horn ring travels before the horn sounds. I am not home now, but may be able to send a picture tomorrow.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
There is a video on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel that shows how to set the ring. There are videos there that cover just about every task you are likely to need to do on an Alpine. Please subscribe and make use of this resource, we run it as a video workshop manual to help all Alpine owners.

Tim R