• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Reluctance

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Well I have done a few Sunbeam windshield installations.
Now I'm reluctant to,install the windshiels in my sons 53 Meteor.
The Sunbeams you take the frame off and do it on the bench or table. So easy
The Meteor gets the trim inserted into the seal as it sits on the glass. You need to use tape to make sure it does not separate. The tape needs a sticky side to,sticky side enough to,fit over the seal and still stick to,the glass. That allows it to slide out easily.
I still,have not decided to do,it myself
Everything is ready and even the cord is in place.might just wait as there is a fellow who,is retired from Speedy Auto glass who does this for the hot rodders and Classic cars but not available to end of the month

DECISIONS DECISIONS

Alpine66

Donation Time
Sounds like a frustrating job. I did my pine windshield and it wasnt too bad, really needed the new gasket more than anything.

Good luck with the decision

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Hi Chuck
There is nothing worse than the phrase I got it I got it Aw s--t
I am licences in 5 trades ad I always trust if I haven't done this or seen it done on this car before get a trained pro it's cheap insurance

Dan

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Chuck
I am licences in 5 trades ad I always trust if I haven't done this or seen it done on this car before get a trained pro it's cheap insurance

Dan

Dan
The problem is I know how. If it was one of the Sunbeams I wouldn't hesitate
And yes it's probably what I will be doing as to have it installed
It's not bad waiting as there is so many jobs that need doing other than car work

Need to,replace 8 recessed ceiling lights for a start. After 30 plus years the thermal breakers are going. Cheaper to replace than replacing the breakers.
Evidently got my monies worth.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Chuck, Knowing all you have done and the abilities you have shown here on the Forum, I have confidence in you doing this job too!

I've done a few windows over the years and always have to keep reminding myself that it takes two people and 4 hands and patience;)

DanR

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Ok Chuck
Now Your are in an area I know a little about (retired electrician) If Your beaker is tripping it may be just one light so just remove bulbs one at a time to see if it is just one ?
Now seeing as you are from the great white north I'm guessing they are federal pioneer . and new breakers are less forgiving to a trip then the old ones so may not last as long. having said that each trip decreases the amount of current the breaker will carry . and if You have aluminium wiring all all bets are off?break out the no ox.

Dan

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Chuck

Dan

Dan
The problem is I know how. If it was one of the Sunbeams I wouldn't hesitate
And yes it's probably what I will be doing as to have it installed
It's not bad waiting as there is so many jobs that need doing other than car work

Need to,replace 8 recessed ceiling lights for a start. After 30 plus years the thermal breakers are going. Cheaper to replace than replacing the breakers.
Evidently got my monies worth.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Ok Chuck
Now Your are in an area I know a little about (retired electrician) If Your beaker is tripping it may be just one light so just remove bulbs one at a time to see if it is just one ?
Now seeing as you are from the great white north I'm guessing they are federal pioneer . and new breakers are less forgiving to a trip then the old ones so may not last as long. having said that each trip decreases the amount of current the breaker will carry . and if You have aluminium wiring all all bets are off?break out the no ox.

Dan

Dan
Have 4 lights cutting out. Another is finished as the socket for the bulb is breaking into,little pieces and is useless. Another is showing the same condition.
Picked up,some LED ones. Specs said 4 inches and certified for insulated ceilings
ThT was outer diameter and hole is 4 inches
Can get bigger style but 600 for 8. Have to,think about it. Can cut outer rim off old ones and fit to new. May just go to,them. Lots of fun
I'm not an electrician but wired my house when I,built it and it passed easily
Helped wire my sons house when he built. Inspector said one of the best he seen
in some time. Might be bragging a bit.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hopefully the pine windshield is not as much "Fun" to install as the MGB is. The instruction I have for the B shows a couple of guys standing in the car and pushing down on the windshield frame to compress the gasket enough to get the bolts started on each side. I did my wife's B twice, both times all by myself; hanging on the frame with nearly all of my weight to start the bolts.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Dan
Damm if the new lights are a bit smaller in diameter.box said 7 and 7/8ths and the original hole was 4 inches. Upon opening I found they meant the diameter of the face and not the fixture.

Will return them next week

Mike
I've done 4 Sunbeam windshield replacement. Never needed anyone to help
I would assume the MG to be similar but never worked on one

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Well after much thinking I'm going to,wait till the start of next month when the retired glass man can come re installing the windshields. He is willing to,work with me. Everything is ready including the pull,cords One of my sons said that is a first with a chuckle that I'm not doing it.

Will spend some time getting all those need to do jobs. No Honeydo jobs as I'm probably the one who says this or that needs done. Some I,admit I have put off
as wanting to,get the car closed in and put into the tent for summer
Almost Sunbeam time here in the Great White North

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Was out in the garage doing some welding on a swivel chair. Cheap ones as the legs cracked

Looked at the windshields and oh the temptation..

So have got a couple of jobs done today

Time for a shot of Southern Comfort on the rocks

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Progress

So the Meteor is looking like a car. Windshields installed. Just need to sew the binding on the carpet pieces and install. Seats should be done this week
Oh so slow but getting there.