1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

    If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

    Enjoy.

    Dismiss Notice

rebuilt servo

Discussion in '"Stock" Alpine' started by robertf, Jul 13, 2011.

  1. robertf

    robertf Donation Time

    My red series V had the servo bypassed and removed when I purchased it so I picked up a used one from the wanted section on this board, soda blasted it, and installed the Sunbeam Specialties rebuild kit. Hope to get it reinstalled by this weekend and give it a test drive. The foam leather spacer was about an inch too long, other than that the kit went together without issue.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]


    Now the used booster showed signs of a rebuild attempt and the plastic seal spacer was missing from the aluminum hydraulics body. I robbed it off of my other Sunbeam for now, but someday that Sunbeam will run again and I'd like power brakes on it so if anyone here has a lathe and feels like making an obscure sunbeam repro part let me know. 0.75" diameter nylon bar should work

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Tom H

    Tom H Platinum Level Sponsor

    Robert , please be sure to let us know how well it works. I am planning to rebuild mine and am quite concerned as many have reported continuing problems after rebuild.

    And what did you do about the foam leather spacer? Just cut it with scissors?

    I've had no problem with my booster since I bought this car in 1981. The car sat unrestored from 81 to 87 and has been in mostly occassional use since then. I guess I've been very lucky for 30 years and now hope my luck continues if I rebuild my booster. Temporarily I have bypassed it and so far it seems OK without. But we'll see.

    Tom
     
  3. robertf

    robertf Donation Time

    I cut it with scissors. The leather itself was soaked in brake fluid. I threw it in the heated ultrasonic cleaner for an hour and then let it sit in 105* sun for a few days.


    The bypassed brakes weren't bad until that first stop sign in the daily driver after a weekend of driving the Alpine when you almost go through the windshield.

    This is good reading before tearing into one of these http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/info/booster.html
     
  4. robertf

    robertf Donation Time

    Hooked everything up yesterday and went to start it up but the fuel pump quit. Kip Motors had one in stock. Just finished installing that and drove it forward and backwards and everything seems to be working. Nothing is sticking, no disappearing fluid. The brakes even make that wooshing sound when the pedal is pressed after shutting off the engine.

    I rebuilt the master cylinder at the same time so I need to bleed the brakes before taking it out on the street.

    Should there be any sort of check valve spliced in to the vacuum line running from the servo to the engine?
     
  5. Nickodell

    Nickodell Donation Time

    A one-way valve will prevent the loss of vacuum boost in the event of an engine shut-down, but the value of that is debatable, as you can still stomp on the brakes even w/o servo assist.
     
  6. Tom H

    Tom H Platinum Level Sponsor

    The fitting where the hose is attached to the booster IS a one way valve.

    Tom
     
  7. Eleven

    Eleven Platinum Level Sponsor

    Robert,
    Thank you for posting the rebuild pdf. I am about to start on mine and had no idea what to do, very helpul.
     
  8. robertf

    robertf Donation Time

    Put a bunch of miles on it yesterday and I can definately say it is a huge improvement over the bypassed booster setup. I even had the chance to lock up the brakes when someone on the cell phone decided to change lanes without looking.
     
  9. robertf

    robertf Donation Time

    That makes sense. The fitting in the picture was missing the hose barb half. I swapped it out with the fitting from my other sunbeam and didn't give it much analysis.
     

Share This Page