• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rebuilding S3 Leaf Springs Today

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Receive all of my parts way up here in the North. Quick question, should the thrust buttons push and stay in place? They fit into the relief of.the spring but they do not snap in and stay. Should a glue be used and what kind? Any insight would be great.

Andrew

Donation Time
Thanks a bunch. I have read mixed reviews about the delrin liner that some use between each leaf. Some say it is better, others say that it migrates out of the leafs even if it has the side channels. Can anyone tell me what they think, if they have used it or if I should just stay with thrust buttons????
Love to hear from others as I would like to do the final assemlby this evening. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My liner has gone nowhere. At the time, new buttons were not available. Nor are they available for use between all springs. The liner offers more wear mass than the buttons, so it should last longer. I'm not so sure my liner is delrin. It is whatever was available from Speedway Motors at the time. I think it is poly, but am not sure. Whatever it is, I'm very satisfied with it.

Andrew

Donation Time
My liner has gone nowhere. At the time, new buttons were not available. Nor are they available for use between all springs. The liner offers more wear mass than the buttons, so it should last longer. I'm not so sure my liner is delrin. It is whatever was available from Speedway Motors at the time. I think it is poly, but am not sure. Whatever it is, I'm very satisfied with it.

Thanks for the note Bill. I have purchased both but I was not sure what would be best. I will give the liner a go, you would think it would make a big difference. I apperciate you input. Thanks, Andrew

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Andrew, as is usually the case, multiple things were done at the same time, so it is difficult to determine just which did what. I replaced the bushings, relieved the grooves that had worn into the leafs, ground off the lions share of rust and ran full length of liner between ALL of the springs. On reassembly, I alternated springs from the left and right sides. The finished job sat perfectly level and I could not believe how compliant the suspension was. I could actually push the rear down while doing the shock absorber test. My initial thought was I should have replaced them while I was "in the business", so to speak.

Bill

Limey

Donation Time
Hi all,

(edited - 65 beam bought me up to speed)

One thing that is always knackered are the rubber liners for the spring binding clips
When I started to restore mine 10 years ago I found a US company that had the correct extrusion set for these but the down side was a minimum order of 100ft!!

Seems SS USA is selling these now but if anyone in the UK (or the rest of Europe) needs any let me know.

Happy to post

The 'gulley' where the metal strap fits is 5/8th (15.5mm)

All the best

Oliver

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Sunbeam Specialties sells these rubber pieces. Part # RS53. Less than $11.00 for enough for two springs.

Limey

Donation Time
Sunbeam Specialties sells these rubber pieces. Part # RS53. Less than $11.00 for enough for two springs.
Do they?? I bought mine 9 years ago when I couldn't find any anywhere. Back then some one suggested I sell my surplus to SS as they didn't sell them. Times have moved on it seems.

Thanks for letting me know

Oliver

65beam

Donation Time
I buy from SS every month and I find that at times he may be out of an item but waiting for his order to come in. These spring pieces are and have been a regular stock item for many years. I would guess that Curt @ Classic also carries them.

Limey

Donation Time
:DYou know what I mean. I'm saying I'm OK sending it to that part of the globe not just the UK

Original post edited to reflect this.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

pruyter

Donation Time
No Bill Blue, the UK is in political a part of Europe for at least the next 19 days, but geographical it has been, is and will always be a part of Europe in spite of a lot of British who consider their island as something special which has nothing to do with Europe.
I remember one strange experience when I wanted to buy parts in Australia and the postage rates where given like this:
Australia, the UK , Europe and the rest of the world but the rates for the UK and Europe where exactly the same. Of course they were the same because the Uk is a part of Europe.
And yes Limey of course I knew what you ment, but I was wondering if people have any idea what countries belong to what parts of the world because I see this error over and over again.
But no misunderstanding I really enjoy this forum where people are spending a lot of time in helping each other, if politicians should have the same behaviour we should have a better world.

Regards,

Peter

Andrew

Donation Time

Yes I purchased all of my parts for the build from SS. Duty kicked my but going over the boarder but the parts are great. I never seem to have a problem with SS or CS. I couple things I couldn't get at CS so I purchased everything from SS. The rubber came in a length as shown above, need to cut it for the lengths required. The build is coming along, just need to assembly the last set.

65beam

Donation Time
Was he selling them 10 years ago?
We restored the series 4 in 2011/2013, the fastback in 2008, partial restoration of the red Harrington about 1999, the series 5 in 1995 and the RHD LeMans in the last few years. Doug @ Tiger Auto had the springs reached on all of the cars and the rubber would have been replaced on all of them using items bought from SS. Like I said before, he may have been out of stock at some time but has been selling these parts for a lot of years. They're still listed in his catalog. I need to place an order this week so I'll ask if he has stock.

Limey

Donation Time
Hi 65beam,

A nice collection! Have you restored a non LMS? I need advice on sealing the roof to the body.

Many thanks

Oliver

Andrew

Donation Time
Ok, Spring re-build finished. With the snow gone I will have to start on the big list!
1) Frame Tails (gusset and or rebuild)
2) U-Joints
3) Possible Trans/OD swap - drive shaft & wiring?
4) Brake Master rebuild
5) Rebuild Leaf Spring Install

spring-build.JPG
Then we are on the road again.
I hope to make another Invasion some day!
Thanks Guys!
Andrew