• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rebuilding & Re-calibrating Neg GND tachs

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
This is a rebuilt Tiger tachometer with new resistors & caps and so on. To calibrate I used a real coil from a GM LS-2 engine and it's driven by a 5V digital signal provided by my signal generator. The 12V lead to power the coil is the primary winding on the tach, of course. And the coil is firing a spark plug.
Here's a short video clip of the test on the bench:
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
LoL! There's a man with a keen eye who knows his tachometers.
Some tips:
A little "De-ox-it" contact cleaner on the pot wiper helped a lot. Most all the resistors were out of tolerance. I used Tom H's write-up to get started on this effort. It's best to have a de-soldering gun because of the delicate circuit board material. I have a Kakko 808 de-soldering tool and a Weller WESD51 soldering station.
Jan

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nice set up and video. Can be done much simpler just using a signal generator, but perhaps your bench set is more accurate. Think you know that the instrument needs to be calibrated over the whole range. Tom H. did a lot of good ground work. I'm saying that because I'm also rebuilding tachs over here as a hobby ;)