• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rebuild S3 Engine........Again!

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Hi Guys,

Yes, its me again and after a long time away I am back and ready to rebuild my S3 engine. Yes, again. I will share some pictures with you showing what happened and what I am left with after my first rebuild. I hope to post some photos tonight showing cylinder #1, you are free to laugh but along with the laughter I hope I get a little assistance or input. I would love to rebuild a 1725 but my I only have the S3 so it must do. You guys may get a flurry of questions in the next little while, I hope you can help.
Straight way:
I will also have to check the cylinders to see if they are still round??? What is acceptable or should I have the block machined? I would just love to refresh the engine but that didn’t get me far last time (I will show you pictures but I may be due to wrong ring gap???)
What is the appropriate piston to cylinder clearance, what is acceptable?
Will it matter where I measure the distance across my pistons for comparison to the cylinder distance?
Again, I will post some photos tonight. Please don’t snicker too loudly.

I will do my best to document things as I go in hope the it will show others what to and what not to do. At least I can laugh about it.

Andrew